Monday, February 07, 2005

Last Dance.

Did I unwittingly summon the deathknell of Spectrums by mentioning it?
Or am I just being paranoid?

Well... the Last Dance will be this Saturday, Feburary 12th. Spectrums will shutter it's doors. My Brooklyn friends are highly distraught. "It's the end of an era!!!", has been cried into my ears.

As I've said before, it was a gay Brooklynite's rite of passage. In it's heyday, Thursday nights were as infamous as Bump Sundays at Palladium... at least, from the Brooklyn point of view. With 2 for 1 drinks until well into the evening, and a wee door cost, everyone happily drank and partied it up locally. Halloween was also a night to look forward to. The freaks live in the outer boroughs or haven't you heard?

Unfortunately, I can't say that Spectrums is closing on a high note. After years of declining attendance and presumably dismal bar receipts, we've stretched far beyond the point of diminishing returns. 2-4-1, long ago, went the way of the dodo, and the door cost has been an abysmal $10 for which you gained entry and nothing else. Trust me, if you see it and hear it... you'd understand what I'm saying.

While I won't be the first on line to pay what is most likely to be an overinflated Last Dance cover charge, my presence has been requested at said event. Perhaps I'll parlay the evening into an outing to Roxy. Haven't done that in a blue moon.