Sunday, March 05, 2006

Fraternal Re-Connect

After a home-cooked meal, a mix of Italian and Puerto-Rican flavors (simply yummy) at A & M's last evening, I headed home to await pick-up by friend and fraternity brother, B for an impromptu fraternity gathering.

If memory serves, today marks the 16th anniversary of when my chapter of the fraternity had been originally re-chartered.

I say "had been originally re-chartered" since after my tenure as an active member, subsequent brethren ran the chapter into the ground, resulting in the revocation of said re-chartered charter.

Some new, bright-eyed "men," after some fanagling and promises of never affiliating with members that were responsible for the previous negligence, had managed to re-establish the chapter.

They'd organized the get together of current actives with alums.

I'd been on the fence (see, not going). However, B's insistence and an IM reminder from another brother,"Hooch," convinced me otherwise.

I'd strong misgivings about the locale. Originally reported as being in Bay Ridge, the bar was on 5th Avenue and 61st Street in Brooklyn. Anyone Brooklynite worth his salt knows that's Sunset Park, a none-to-great section. Arriving at 10PM, there were some latino, thuggy looking guys (albeit hot in that way), hanging around. Could've been troublesome but they seemed content entertaining themselves, shooting pool.

I spoke to some of the current members, including a new inductee who was nauseatingly young at 19 years old!! Youth is so wasted on the young. Anywho, I (half) jokingly commented on how unrewarding it was to be a pledgemaster or member of council. Like a management job, you spend your time trying to make everyone happy and make no one happy. They (the nauseatinglys young) didn't feel my humor. I proffered this, "This is the time of your life. Enjoy it, make the most of it. If you chose to take on responsibilities in the fraternity, Great. That'll be some good life lessons you'll learn and carry into your future." End sage words for the evening. Imbibe more beer.

The gathering was satisfying. It could've been better if more older brothers from my era showed up, so that I could catch up with them. But it was good to do so with the few that did show up. Definitely took me back to when I was in college. Except now, they're mostly married with children and I'm, well, not.