Saturday, September 17, 2005

Ultra.NY

I'd left the office, my city way point, around 2:45AM to head over to Crobar. Jumped back into the subway, getting only as far as 23rd and 8th.

Heard enroute to the subway:
"21. 29. what's the difference? I'm still legal."
Tsk, tsk. Straight kids and their logic. Don't know the context so I'm guessing, if you're 21 and using a fake ID with 29, you're an idiot.

Oh, to the two making out in the white Nissan Maxima (circa model year 2000) on Crosby Street, not romantic. Nope, not at all. Wouldn't even let him get to first base. But I guess you have to make do. Just be sure he gets the car home to mom.

Continuing…
I walked down 23rd Street, past the Westside Tavern (Hi, Snaxx, or whoever was left at 3:15AM in the morning) and cut up 10th Avenue, which was abuzz with activity at that time. Turned on to 28th Street and people milling around gave me the initial impression of a long line, but I was able to walk right up to the front, coming in 3rd in line. However, I still waited 15-20 minutes as they allowed all the list people in before me. Can't complain to the people working the door, since, they're working the door and can say " You're outta luck." and refuse you entrance. And the frenchies, that stood behind me and insisted on pushing their way up, ahead of me (yea, big whoop, so you were second in line now), PLEASE STOP PUSHING, YOU CHEESE EATING SURRENDER MONKEYS. Thanks.

Then I got blogsighted. As he passed me, he said, "EvilBuddha." Grinned and continued in. It took me a second to recognize him. It was Mike P. of Blather and Bosh! While I was still stuck in line. Mike was heading in on someone's list, more than likely, free-of-charge. Grumble. Grumble. Who does he know? After so many years of clubbing, I should be granted a seniority card or be tenured.

Eventually I got in and things started to fall into place.

The music was pumping but I could see it wasn't Danny on the turntables yet. I walked around and the place was a zoo. The surrounding areas, to the dancefloor, were near impossible to navigate. I managed to slip and weave my way through the crowd. Surprisingly, as I discovered the last time, the place to find a space to dance was in the middle of the dancefloor. Hrmph. straight crowds, they do more preening and posing than dancing. So convoluted.

Shortly, within two songs, Danny took over from Timo Maas and was throwing down some mean tech house. He was going big room sound again. But this time, I was able to sync up with him and actually enjoy his little journey. I'd run into my friend Indy, whom I hung around with for a bit, but eventually found Mike of B&B and danced around together for the most part thereafter. It was a blast to meet him and dance. with him. I would never have imagined, but then I did post I would be going. It was a pleasure to talk with someone that was very knowledgeable about the music. He says he's in the biz.

The musical journey was a fun one. I can't say I wanted to dance to all of Danny's tracks but I was grooving and moving to most of it. No trainspotting this time, wasn't in the mood. At one point, Mike and I were dancing in the Bamboo room, or whatever it's called, as the music was groovier there. Not as pounding as it was in the main room.

All in all, I did manage to sweat and sweat a lot. Of course, straight parties, I'm shy and not oft to doff my shirt, while others, who should really second guess their choice, do. Sigh, straight knuckleheads. There were a fair share of hot straight boys, or were they straight? I couldn't see if there was a strong representation from the "boys." But they're presence was felt. ie. the beefy bald guy who seemed to be stalking me and dancing near me. Funny, do I give off the gay vibe or did he assume with my dashing good looks and well-manicured demeanor I was gay? Ha.

Mike left well ahead of me. By the time I'd left I was exhausted, but I couldn't believe it was only 9:15AM. I was there for only about 5-5.5 hours. I guess the hard dancing made the time feel that much longer. I returned to my city way point and headed home thereafter. I walk away from this experience, thoroughly pleased.