Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Labor Day Wrap-up: Pleasure before Business

It was a gorgeous weekend for a holiday, fast becoming a rare occurrence for NY but most welcome. I'd already gotten the weekend to a great start with Friday night's activities, but I was looking forward to some downtime which on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday
Comprised of not much of anything. Slept late and did next to nothing. I got some sun on the roof. I was really looking for that last summer tan, so I was going with the tanning oil to really burn it in. A sinful, afternoon nap after that was delectable.

My only outing(s) was to fuel up AutoLove. She was down to about 1/4 tank. My first foray, I discovered that much of the gas stations in the area were out of fuel. I gave up fast and returned home. Speaking with the BF, whom I partially blame for this situation, he suggested another gas station in a completely different direction, 5 blocks away. I walked over to determine if there was gas. Fortunately there was. I went back and grabbed AutoLove and paid an obscene $39.54 to fill up at a ridiculous $3.49 a gallon. Arrrggggh.

R-I-D-C-U-L-O-U-S. (Spoken a la Harry Potter.)

Thanks W, love what your war for oil is doing for us. And for your next trick, an exit strategy?

Moving on, the BF activities were extremely light Saturday. He'd figured I'd be ditching him and going out that evening, he'd made plans of his own for the whole day, which was fine by me. However, I'd made no plans but was contented to spend some quality ME time, scouring the web for Torrents of anime.

Sunday
It always starts with breakfast with the BF's father. He wasn't fairing so well, so it was short. We eventually headed out to SI to the BF's brother's house to while away the last holiday of the summer, hanging around the pool, taking in the sun (I'd only gotten a little color, if you could believe it yesterday) and sipping on margaritas.

It was very relaxing. I'd zonked out at one point laying flat on my back on the deck. Ah, the sun does knock me out.

We didn't fire up the grill. Everyone was all barbecued out. Instead, we sat down to a nice Sunday italian gravy dinner. In normal speak, pasta, tomato sauce with sausages and meatballs. Delicious. Hadn't had that in a long while. Tons of dessert was also to be had.

As the day progressed, I gotten some calls from my manager updating me on the situation at work.

2:00 PM - First call, all things are still normal, work will happen as planned. DRAT.

Despite the looming work on Monday, which was inevitable, I held some hope for possibly making it out Sunday night / Monday Morning for Alegria at Crobar. Robocub had gotten me giddy and whipped into a frenzy about going during the week. So I was very downtrodden when it was confirmed that I would most definitely be working.

7:00 PM Second Call - Seems that work was completely unready. I'd report for work on Monday… but at 6:00PM. Hmmmm…

I immediately made up my mind that I was going out to meet up with Robocub, whom I called instantly once my mind was made up, for Alegria. I'd get home early, maybe 10-ish and get some sleep and head out to work. Sure, I'd be a little tired but it had to be done.

I ran home, reserved a ticket online and went in for a disco nap.

Not much to report but Alegria was SOOOO much fun. Once I connected with Robocub, I settled in for some big, gay fun. The men were particularly good-looking and hot, freshly back in the city with a renewed verve. The energy was a bit manic at first, so much so that I couldn't seem to sync up but I eventually did and it was no-holds-barred good time. What a blast. The music was route for Alegria but I hadn't heard it in so long. I ended up staying till about 10 and headed home for so much needed rest before work.

Business
One word: T-I-R-E-D.

I'd slept some during Monday afternoon, enough to look and feel normal. But it wasn't enough. My manager called in the early afternoon to further inform me that work wasn't where it should be but I'd be going in at 7:30PM.

Driving in, the city was pretty empty, so parking and parking well weren't an issue. This was convenient seeing as I wasn't in the mood to ride a train in or out. I was mentally not in the head for it.

I'd guess that I'd sat around for three hours before work finally came down to me. From then, it was pretty time consuming and mind-numbing but welcome, to finally be accomplishing something. I worked till 5AM. Yes, it was gruesome amount of work. But nonetheless, it got done. I don't envy my manager, he stayed over night and just left at 2PM. That used to be me, but I'm glad it's not.

A great weekend, eventhough I was made to pay for it in the end.