Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Financially Sobering

Warning: BORING POST AHEAD.

This is the first year I've been freelancing in a while. I'm earning approximately the same pay as when I was full-time with a company, but without the benefit of the necessary taxes being taken out for me. Essentially self-employed, I'm responsible for myself. I get paid in net amounts but it's certainly not gross. This I know, so I'm not spending willy-nilly and saving cash for the tax man.

I've exchanged some emails with my accountant and it has put my head in a spin. Apparently, I'm not saving enough. Ouch. The wind has been knocked out of my sails. The belt tightening begins today. It'll be a temporary situation but I have to see myself through 2005 free of tax-debt which in the long run will probably help my overall debt. No more accumulated debt, which means, credit purchases need to stop and only on as needed basis. Down to the bare necessities. Sure, there may be a robot here and there, but it'll be down to the must-haves, none of the frivolous impulse purchases.

Wow. THAT'S COOL. I didn't know it was out!
*CHA-CHING*
Moth flies from wallet. Tax man taps me on shoulder.
Uh-oh.

I've got tons of anime to watch. Sure, some of the series are ongoing, but I've got to realize that most stores still treat them as a niche market and only price them one way, unlike new domestic movie releases which enjoy a low initial release price. In other words, they'll still be on the shelf and at the same price after release, no real benefit in rushing out to get them aside from the instant gratification.

Video games? No purchases. Period. I've got loads of games that need playing. This alone should occupy my time for the next 4 months. Seriously.

Books? I've got a few books in the queue and getting in to audiobooks for the first time. Currently listening to the "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" read by Michael York and I'm enjoying it. I've also got "The Traveller" by John Twelve Hanks and "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. The latter is a little ambitious since, colllectively, "Atlas Shrugged" is in seven parts and in total audio time, nearly two days. TWO DAYS. Well... that'll teach me to spend money for sure.

One of my primary efforts in saving cash has always been to focus on myself and getting to the gym for my lunch hour. It can be an opportunity to shop around and waste boatloads of cash. So instead of sliding plastic or dumping green, I'll be pumping iron. Who knows, maybe I can parlay my body into a money-making opportunity. An amusing thought, but I don't think I have what it takes to be either a go-go dancer or prostitute.

Maybe.