Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Birthday Weekend in Review (Part 2 of 2)

Sorry for two parting my birthday weekend wrap-up and my lack of timeliness in finishing it. Fatigue caught up with me and unless there's flashing lights, colors and some form of eye candy, exciting the pleasure centers of my brain, my focus will waiver and falter. Of course, I won't presume to hold your interest in what I did for my birthday two days later. Even I've lost interest. But I'll plow on.

Now, where was I?

Sunday

Leo
August 14, 2005
The glorious Sun rules Leo, and today it is channeling the passion of Pluto, the lord of the dark realms. It's an interesting paradox: the brilliant light of the Sun and the terrifying shadows of Pluto. Use this temporary alignment to shine your awareness into the unknown, thereby transforming fear into power.


I'd awoken early, as usual, before going out. So I played Zelda. The BF arrived home from the block party to find me doing just that. He was a little whacked (see drunk) and headed off to bed.

I have to admit, for the past two weeks, I'd been apprehensive about this weekend. It was mostly inexplicable. You'd think by now, I'd have learned to live in the moment and let things be. In part, I dreaded the passing of this weekend. Sunday was my 35th birthday. Not a landmark birthday, but still, a time where I felt like I should take stock in my life. All this heavy thinking, had me in a spin and in a dour mood. I was looking to Danny Tenaglia to lift my spirits. Perhaps, I wished to hard and expected something else.

After the last run into the city with AutoLove, I was reluctant to take her. So I didn't. The trains were okay. The stations were hot as hell and I was getting titty sweat at West 4th. Not cute. The walk from the final destination subway station to the club was a good chance to dry off.

I'd arrived 1:30AM at the club. The line was ridiculous. I asked a girl with a clipboard if there was a separate line for pre-pay. She'd said no. I waited for an hour+, enduring stupid women trying to sneak their way up on the line to the street meat vendor who was searing his meat to great effect and smoke, drowning the crowd in it. I did my best to dodge the wafting smoke so as to not smell like barbeque before entering the club. At one point the cops arrived and that's never a good indicator. But they did rush to ask people on the line if they had pre-paid, to which I immediately raised my hand. This perhaps saved me another half hour of waiting. Although it was upsetting to learn that they may have had a separate line for pre-pay all along to which I say to the girl with the clipboard, who answered my question incorrectly, "YOU'RE AN ASS!!!"

grumble. grumble.

This was starting the night on the wrong foot and it turns out, I'd be out of step the entire night.

Musical Disconnect
Inside, Danny was tearing it up. He was playing a big house sound, with melodic flow and lots of hard beats. Immediately ran into a few people I knew, so it was nice to have some familiar faces in a see of unknowns. It was packed and Africa hot in Crobar. The crowd wasn't nearly as bad as last time, but it was irrevocably straight. It didn't bother me in so much as it wasn't gay at all. I did have a dance stalker though. I've seen him at all the Danny parties: short, cute and muscular. But I'd never seen him at the gay parties, leading me to believe he's a closet case. He recognized me as he was dancing close to me, very close, too close. All the while, not saying a word to me, staring intensely, waiting for me to make the first move, which I'm loathe to do. I thought it was too aggressive his approach and paid him no mind. Still he danced close by, occasionally walking past so that I would feel the stubble of his chest. OUCH! Not cute. To the curb with you.

Friend Frank with his friend G showed up later. In around that time, Danny was going into a heavy tech set, that was when he'd lost me. Don't get me wrong, it was a great set, but I wasn't feeling it. Lots of beats, but it wasn't going anywhere. I wanted to dance groovy and smooth, but got lots of pots and pans. Sigh. Guess we can't always be on the same page. I think it was also because I enjoyed him so much the last two times at Spirit, I came into the evening expecting more of the same and disappointed myself when he didn't bring the same sound. I know it was completely me, because I could see everyone else enjoying the music.

Around 8:30AM, I gave up trying. I was tired. At that point, Danny threw on a great track but my mind was already set on leaving and I did.

The rest of the day was spent resting, sex, Zelda, dinner, dessert and sleep.

Not a bad birthday. I had too many expectations but now I know better. Still, I continue to write the tale.