Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Three Steps Back

My last Anime Night, I'd caught up on most of the animes I've been watching. After a few hectic weeks of things generally not involving sitting in front of a television, I've fallen behind again. There've been a few releases that I'd been looking forward to and acquired, but I won't even jump in until I've got a fair amount of time to dedicate my attention to it.

Here are some of anime sitting at the top of the queue:

Steamboy


From the director of Akira. I won't sit with this until I have a free afternoon.

Ghost in a Shell - SAC 7



Ditto on this. I'll need an afternoon to savor the end of this series but fortunately not the last time I'll be seeing Major Kusanagi in action. Looking forward to Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig.


FullMetal Alchemist 4



Watched it. Loved it. The first 3 discs in the series laid the groundwork for disc 4. Now that you understand the mythos of the world of State Alchemists, they dive right into a heavy story line, steeped in metaphor for our world, dealing with government, religion and belief.
Simply awesome.

GunSlinger Girl 2



Started to watch this and stopped. Slow, mostly background stuff. Where are the guns? the bloodshed? Going to have to plow through this one.

Samurai Champloo 4



I had my reservations about this series at first and only started watching it at the recommendation of a fellow otaku. I've enjoyed the series, aside from the fact that it has no robots to speak of, but this disc puts any residual reservations to rest. Like FMA, this disc hits the ground running, with a great back story on Mugen. Has a distinct "LOST" feel, as now you know these characters, it's time for you to find out their inner thoughts and past.

Gungrave 7



This disc completes the series, of which I've only watched the first DVD. I'm going to have to re-watch it to get back into this one.

Gatchaman Collection Vol. 2



A must-have for anyone that watched the American butchered version called "Battle of the Planets." See it in it's unadulterated, unfettered Über-violence.

Fafner



I shouldn't start watching any new anime while I've got so many in the queue.. but I could pass it up. I believe it's from the makers of Neon Genesis Evangelion, my favorite upon favorite animes.

Overman King Gainer




This was a new anime I started to watch, but stopped again. It's fairly cliche and routine. Big robots, with an ancient, mystical history. I'll have to give it a chance.

To pick up today:

Kung Fu Hustle



I've had a good bootleg, watched it, loved it and I'm compelled to own the domestic release. I'll be sure to watch it again as it is pure, unbridled fun.

Gantz 7



Do I want the DVD box or not? Don't know if this is ongoing or is going to stop. Great series, only getting better.

Thundercats: Season One



If you're a child of the 80s , need I explain myself?

Yikes!!! Did I say three steps back? Sheesh.