Monday, August 15, 2005

Birthday Weekend in Review (Part 1 of 2)

Its been a long, activity filled weekend, culminating on my 35th birthday, Sunday, August 14th.

Thursday
Coming in to the weekend, I'd had a chance to catch up with friend O and his friend P for drinks at elmo. After P left, we befriended a woman, or rather, after eavesdropping on our conversation, she befriended us by saying "Happy Birthday" to O and I. O's birthday is 12 days after mine. She was waiting for her set-up date to show up. We chatted and she asked, "How long have you been together?" which we both replied, "No, we're not. We've just been friends for, oh, 12 years and we have separate boyfriends." She protested, saying we work so well together. When her friend's arrived, she asked that we send her an email when we are together. Leave it to a straight woman to encourage the break-up of two gay relationships.

Drinks was followed by dinner with Friend Frank and his friend M at the cuban restaurant in Chelsea. I was pretty loose-y goose-y from three margaritas so I was chatting up a storm and being rambunctious and sarcastic with Frank. In my inebriated state, I was getting back at him for all the nonsense he's put me through in the past. Frank wasn't pleased but he laughed, a little.

Friday
Nothing. I did nothing but run home and play Zelda, such bliss.

Saturday
The BF's brother's block in Staten Island was having a party. Yes, a good ole NYC block party. Big fair for NY suburbia especially if you live in Brooklyn or Staten Island and especially if you're Italian.

The BF ran out early to help out and left me to my own devices for the morning. I played more Zelda and headed out around 1:00.

The block party was fine. Plenty of food. I kept it light as I was heading out that night. Activities comprised of dipping in the pool. Walking out to the front and check out what's happening on the block. Watch some cute teenage/young adult boys preen around, showing off their developing physiques. Eat. Sit. Walk to the back. Dip in the pool. Walk out to the front again. Eat some more.

By 6, I'd had enough food and was ready to leave. The BF said I couldn't, not just yet. I complied and invariably braced for the inescapable, birthday cake with "Happy Birthday", sung, not quite in unison by many people and off-key. It was a sweet gesture after which I ran home for my disco nap in preparation for the night ahead.