Saturday, September 03, 2005

"Where would karaoke be without the Eighties?"

Not to be disheartened by the thought of work on Monday, I met up with Neal and his GF, Catherine, both in from CA for the Labor Day weekend and a few cohorts/friends, formerly co-workers: C, A and L. First destination was Wonjo in Korea Town (33rd Street bet. 5 and 6th) for some korean barbecue. Think Japanese hibachi-style, except you cook your own meat in the center of the table that has a charcoal grill. Good eats, if you're into kimchee and such. Pretty cheap too. On the minus side, we realized we all smelled like seared meat afterwards.

After a quick stop at E and C's hotel room (they're married, not to each other and they had a single full bed. Hmmm? Oh, and they're guys. Not that there's anything wrong with that but Hmmm?), whereupon Catherine pilfered some soaps and shower caps, we headed over to Muse, karaoke place on 27th Street between 6th and 7th.

After the first and previous time I'd done karaoke, the next day, I was dismissed from my job. The two incidents were unrelated but it did give me pause. But like last time, it was a blast.

We'd "sung" a bevy of songs. Out of the gate, I tried Curbside Prophet by Jason Mraz and I failed rather miserably. Funny, I usually can keep up when I'm listening to it on my iPod. I got self-conscious about my abilities there after, and thought, the perception of my own voice through my head is much different than what was being projected back at me. Eventually, I figured, more beers help my uneasiness, which they did.

Other songs, I'd picked and sang to:
Miami 2017 - Billy Joel
Photograph - Def Leppard (the on-screen words didn't come up at first, but myself, C and E were singing fairly well without them. Scary.)
Africa - Toto
Games People Play - Alan Parsons Project
Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting - Elton John
Heat of the Moment - Asia
Our House - Crowded House
Separate Ways - Journey
Mr. Brightside - The Killers (This was fun and Neal chose it for me. :) )

After that tracklist, I'm sure you understand why E made the quote that is the title of this post.

11:30PM - We left a little hoarse. Good times.