Thursday, May 19, 2005

"Supertrain"

I was reading this tidbit from Engadget today about the AeroSoft Train Simulator. I amused myself thinking that this was an ingenious testing device placed on the planet to find a worthy engineer amongst the humans, a la The Last Starfighter. The candidate would pilot an alien super train to the stars. As tangents in my mind go, I vaguely recalled a late 70's television series, called Supertrain.



I can't recall much of the show but a cursory search (thank you WWW) has turned up a plethora of information.

The train was cool. Of course, there was never a full-size train, but it was a really, really cool model.



But the show was ASS. It was "The Love Boat" on rails with a Julie the cruise director clone, down to a Isaac the bartender character, minus the handlebar mustache. Most All of the sites I hit for Supertrain, have it listed as one of TV's biggest flops alongside "My Mother the Car." Wow.

Here are some links to sate your curiosity.
Supertrain
TV Party

LakinLand


Dig the funky theme music here. You'll need RealPlayer.