Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Anal sex at the gym.

Well, not really, at least not by me. But it seems my gym really wants to fuck me…

…over that is.

I'm a member of NYHRC. It's a good gym, I like the staff, aside from the idiot trainers who don't know how to work out nice with other people in the gym. The equipment and weights are good, even if the other members don't know how to re-rack. I'd extended the membership from my previous place of employment. It was a great deal where I was paying $70 a month. My membership expires in 4 days on May 15 and since I'm no longer employed by the same company, I had to go speak to a membership consultant about what deals they had for me. "Deals" would be a loosely used term.

This is what I was given from the HRC Staffer, Ian:
12 month Contract with $1 sign-up (what's the fucking point?!) @ $109 per month
Yearly total is $1125
or
24 month Contract with $0 sign-up @ $99 per month
or
Pay-as-I-go Contract with $99 sign-up @ $119 per month

This was the best they could offer me? I explained to Ian that it was an inconvenience that I remain a member of his gym as I'm no longer working nearby but in NoHo. I travel two train stops to come up to 23rd Street. He offered that HRC is building a new gym near me in Cooper Square… opening in August. Whoop-de-fucking-doo.

At this point, I think Ian was getting the drift that he wasn't blowing any wind up my skirt, so he switched tactics.
"Well, you like the gym, no?" Not biting.
"I can give you till the end of the month free if you sign up for the pay-as-you-go but I'll have to pro-rate the first month." You've got to be kidding me!! No bite.

After last night, it pretty much cinches the deal that I'll be parting ways with NYHRC.

So on Monday I'll be shopping around for a new gym. Crunch is the closet gym to me, so I'll check them out. NYSC is just an armpit. I don't think there's an Equinox near me and even so, I doubt their rates would be competitive. I'd been a member of David Barton Gym on 16th Street for a few years. It was my first gym. Awwww. While it seems that they're under some fire, it's nothing new. Seen it before and not just at DBG. (The NYSC steamrooms were notoriously shut down all the time.) Never done it, not a judgement but a choice. I'd consider David Barton again. Although it is out of the way, it's the same as NYHRC is now. And I wouldn't mind being leered or ogled by Oliver, Darrel, Corey or Juan. Not saying that they do, but if they did, it's okay with me. :)