Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Richard

Ok, so I'm a little remiss in getting a post up about Richard.

A few weeks ago, I was on a robo-hunting expedition in Chinatown. You know I was desperate if I was in Chinatown. I'm not a self-loathing Asian but Chinatown is rank, crowded, dirty and if I have to see/hear another person do a snot shot, I'm going to flip out. Ew. Gross. Anyway, I'd headed to Wah-Kue on Mott Street. Sadly, it has become a non-descript cellphone store (Who'd da thunk?) I was close to Doyer Street and was reminded of Richard's childhood tales. I hadn't corresponded with him since our last debacle attempt at meeting. However, when I arrived home, I shot him an email, saying "Went near Doyer, thought of you. Let's meet for drinks and dim sum."
He responded a day later and thus set the wheels in motion for our fateful meeting.
Through a few emails, we eventually ruled out dim sum. It would have been novel but wholly unnecessary. We settled on Therapy for drinks, decidedly gayer, more apropos and comfortable for our meeting. We'd met, Wednesday of last week.
We'd failed to meet earlier this year at an organized blogger meeting because some of us were being typical homos and figured, "Nobody will arrive on time, so let's grab a bite." Well, nobody except Richard. Long short, he wasn't pleased with the lot of us that night and rightly so. To assure that there would be no repeat in the slightest, I tried very hard and succeeded at being on time.
I walked in to Therapy and realized, we'd never said where in the bar we'd meet. The upstairs was closed so that narrowed things down a bit. I looked around some, and spotted Richard, sitting at the end of the bar table, seemingly smiling at my confusion. He'd trimmed his beard but his face was unmistakable.
Over a few drinks, we got acquainted and talked about a lot: our blogs, fellow bloggers, current events, "walls", our lives, Doyer Street, his bad gay gene. We were all over the place but we kept it moving. It was a nice experience. The stimulating conversation helped me to clear up some of the cobwebs in my head and exercise it some on topics I generally don't talk much about, ie. politics. It does infuriate me so, but Richard is passionate about it.
We eventually grabbed a bite at one of his favorite restaurants, ViceVersa. Nice place, great italian food, aside from the errant mussel that decided to spray me with red sauce. Ugh. Richard had a good laugh. I was mortified. If only he knew how often I did that. Oops, guess he will now. More conversation ensued.
Time flies when you're having fun and before I knew it, it was about 11:00PM.
We parted and it was a fine time. I look forward to doing it again. Perhaps we'll throw in a few other bloggers into the mix or not.