Monday, November 14, 2005

Weekend This and That

I should give up on planning any sort of weekend activity. Plans made in advance, fall apart faster than you could replace them.

My Friday night plans disintegrated prior to leaving work. Had I known, I would have considered heading out with Joe to hear his friend, DJ Jerry Bonham, open for Paul Van Dyk at Roxy (shudder). Influencing factors were: previous plans were still going ahead, I'm currently disillusioned with the big club experience, straight kids are sloppy. Paul Van Dyk has a notoriously huge following and while I'm fairly unfamiliar with the actual demographic breakdown, all signs point to a straight majority. It's not to say that he doesn't have a gay following… but they're definitely in the minority. It's also not to say that having an all gay crowd would make for a better club experience either. Oh look… I've written myself into a corner.

Friday ended up being a quiet night. It was a very cold night, perfect for staying toasty indoors, ordering in, watching a movie and snuggling. Okay, maybe I didn't do the snuggling part, that just gets too warm.

Saturday, there were small errands, one of which was going into the city with the BF and JJ's car to help O & M move stuff into storage. O was still sleeping (he had a late night). We grabbed a cup of coffee with M afterwards and chatted. I hit the gym afterwards for a cardio workout. I had to stop since I was over-caffeinated after my Starbuck's Venti drip and the Thermo-burst Energy Pills I had taken prior to leaving Brooklyn. My heart felt like it was about to burst.

Afternoon, I met back up with the BF and his family to celebrate his mother's birthday. Sigh. Have to play nice with the In-Laws.

The evening, I'd planned on hitting the Roxy (shudder) with Robocub to hear DJ Paulo, whom Robocub has spoken highly of. To date, I have yet to hear him. B & C scheduled their son's baptism for Sunday afternoon. It was best not to be exhausted and tired.

Saturday evening - Quiet. Yawn.

Sunday was the baptism, followed by the gathering of family and friends at B & C's for food and drink. The BF was leaving for SF for business that evening. We killed time at B&C's before I dropped him off at JFK.

Sunday evening, I'd loosely planned on meeting up with Mike P. for beers at the Eagle and after doing nothing all weekend, I was hellbent on doing so. While enroute, I called G to wish him a "Happy Birthday" and learned he was heading out to Cielo later to celebrate. I decided to tag along. We agreed to meet at the Eagle beforehand.

Things were looking up.

First stop was the Eagle, where I ran into G first and hung out for a beer. Mike P. was hanging by the DJ booth (he texted me his location). We chatted some and I ran into my friend O, not completely surprising but a nice plus.

Side Note: Do most men at the Eagle, when they "acknowledge" they have an interest in you, just stop and gawk? in hopes that you'll say something first? I had that happen several times where I was walking through the crowd and men stopped in their tracks and looked at me. It's a nice ego stroke but I find that to be a tad passive.

Anyway, G was raring to get to Cielo. He was dancing in place. I finished my beer and we excused ourselves to head over to Cielo.

The party was called Fresh Fruit, a regular party hosted by DJ Steve Travolta and Quentin Harris. The venue was in swing when we arrived, occupied by some out-of-towners, looking for a good time and the dance freaks. It was a nice eclectic crowd with a great vibe. The music was awesome and made me dance quite a bit.

G bounced around saying hello. This was his space. I was just visiting.

I don't know why it is that I don't go to Cielo more often. I'd been there once, had a blast and enjoyed the space very much. It is very intimate with a good sound system. Intimate also means that you can definitely feel when someone is checking you out. More ego stroking with none of the payoff.

By 1AM, I'd had enough. Well, not really… but I needed to get home and get to sleep.

I had driven into the city. That worked out to be more convenient and not so difficult to manage. Paced myself: one beer, one bottle of water, dance, repeat.

Sunday, completely unscripted. Fun. There's something to be said for spontaneity.