Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween Weekend

Friday was a hectic day. I had a Halloween house party to attend that night and I was heading out for Danny's Halloween Party at Spirit, afterwards. Work threatened to run well into the evening, and I found myself explaining to my manager, why I wanted out early. The truth that I wanted to rush home to sneak in a disco nap before all of the festivities, didn't seem like an adequate enough explanation. I left it at the fact that I had parties to attend. Fortunately, I was able to "hand off" the work to co-worker E and get home for at least a little rest, if you could call it that. I was wide awake after, at best, a half hour of sleep. I'd heard the doorbell through the fog of dreams and that was the end of that. It was useless trying to fall asleep again. I got up, got ready, and headed out.

The house party was tame. It was a nice enough time with friends I haven't seen in a while. However, Lack of sleep left me surly, bitchy according to some of the party attendees. I did my best to remedy it, but still, I wasn't suffering fools easily that evening.

As soon as people started to leave, everyone started to leave. After dropping off one friend and the BF at home, we had to stop at Friend Frank's, he was at the party as well and he was heading to Spirit with me. As a matter of course, it wouldn't be a night out with him if I didn't have to deal with his unpreparedness. He had to print his ticket on his inexorably slow ass PC. Frustrating. After wasting yet another half hour at Frank's, we were finally on our way by 1:30AM.

Arriving at Spirit at 2:00AM, the place was a zoo, totally unexpected. Usually well organized, the streets were filled with people milling around in costume, trying to figure out a way into the club. Fortunately, I ran into some people I knew from the Danny Tenaglia message board and cut the line with them. Usually, I'm loathe to do this but that helped us avoid at least an hour's wait. Thank goodness.

Fools were everywhere. On the coat check line, we suffered the prattling of one woman, who went on incessantly about how see was sponsoring someone for confirmation the next day and she had to be home by 12. This went on for 10 minutes, whereupon she repeated herself 5 times at least. I felt my skull would crack open and my brain would spill out on to the floor. Annoying. She was leaving. I was thankful.

Inside, the club was abound with energy. It was very chaotic, especially with all the costumed folk. I felt a general disconnect with it. Friend Frank continued to be irritating. He'd worn a little devil/angel costume with black wings and he got upset every time someone walked past, pushing against his wings. What did he expect? He added another 6-8 inches to his back, of course, people were going to brush up against him. Whatever, I wasn't suffering his antics well. A word to the wise, don't wear a costume to a club if you intend on keeping it. Make it disposable and expendable. Friend Frank went on and on last year about horns he was wearing and this year, it was these DAMN wings. I was fast being spun into a bad head.

The music was spot on for Danny. He was rocking. But I was completely in the wrong head. Not into the music, not into dancing. Not good. I tried hard to change my mindset but nothing was falling into place. I found I wanted to be there for all the wrong reasons and it was setting me up for major disappointments.

Amateurs
It's surprising the amount of people that pop out of the woodwork for holiday weekends. Most shouldn't consider coming out, as they embarrass the hell out of themselves, inevitably threatening to ruin the fun for everyone else.
I was witness to two "men" just heaving their guts up: sounds and visuals, SO not cute. I'd seen another hunched over a garbage can. If you can't handle whatever you're on, then you have no business doing it in public and the same goes if you can't do it in moderation. Fun is fun, but throwing your guts up, is a little too much fun.

By 9:30AM, I'd had enough. I was tired and my body ached and not in a good way. Lack of sleep and overall negativity was poisoning my body and I needed/wanted to go home.

Sigh. Frank had mentioned that we're getting too old for this. Perhaps he's right. Yeah, my p*ssy hurts. I'll give it a rest and see how I feel down the line.