Monday, October 17, 2005

Well-Fatigued.

I wish I could sleep today away, but I'm at work. Yawning. Fighting to keep my brain oxygenated enough to earn my keep. My focus is next to nil and it's taking a fair amount of it to type.

I'm tired. Although it's a good kind of tired.

Yesterday, I hit Crobar for Victor Calderone's Evolve. It was an amazing party, exactly what I'd needed. Friend Frank, who'd fallen off the radar for a while, returned in full force to accompany me, albeit not without his usual shenanigans. (see. overslept) I was picking him up at 5AM but we didn't get motoring till 5:30AM.

The city was quiet, parking a breeze, a minor wait at the door and we were in.

Crobar was packed when I arrived, and stayed that way for a long time. Previous Evolve parties, the club had closed for a short time, ejecting the previous "night's" patrons and to clean up and This time, they didn't close. You could tell by the amount of garbage, ie. cans, water bottles, gum wrappers, napkins on the floor. The energy level was already at a high level and VC had to maintain it. I'm guessing that with a lead-in DJ like Carl Cox, who himself is a headliner, VC had a pretty intense set to follow-up and take over from.

VC's sound was noticeably different from previous parties. He was spinning a much darker edge and playing less vocals, recognizable songs. He was programming a lot more it seemed, layering, sampling, and making for a beat heavy, and what felt like a true afterhour experience. Some noteable tracks, well, the only ones I can readily recall:
The Baguio Track - Luzon. He teased this for a long time, always a good hear.
8 Letters - One of my favorite tracks of the Year
That Look - Delacy. Absolutely a KILLER mix VC played. Definitely had my fist pumping in the air on this one. KILLER.

If anything else comes up, I'll update later.

Back to the crowd. When we'd arrived, I noticed a few of the "boys" were arriving at the same time. Inside, the crowd was very, very straight, the usual for Crobar on Saturdays. As the morning progressed, there was a definite shift from a straight crowd to a gay crowd. This time around, I saw many more familiar faces than the previous times out. The crowd didn't thin out till, I estimate, 10AM.

By 12:00PM, I'd had enough. My legs were spent and I was exhausted. A good exhausted.