Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Saying Good-bye (Part 1 of 2)

Prologue
Thursday, Oct. 6
He and I ruminated briefly about the day. We held hands, gently squeezing one another, acknowledging the contact, acknowledging the love we felt. Perhaps, I held on too long. I didn't care and he didn't protest. We were both comforted.
He looked sharp. There were four of us in the room, talking around him and at him. He did his best to follow along.
I stepped away, to breathe and reflect. They came along after. Though we were out of earshot, we spoke in hushed tones. Conversations had taken a decidely dour tone in the previous week.
Moments later, a nurse came looking for us. He over-extended himself, focusing through the fog of painkillers and became too excited. The nurse advised we not speak, he needed to rest now.
I sat down next to him, fearful of waking him, fearful of leaving him. I watched as he repeatedly lifted the handkerchief to his nose, only to come an inch short before dropping it back down to his chest.
Ushered to leave, I wanted to voice my objection. Nonetheless, I squelched it, got up and walked out, hoping he'd hold on a few more days so I'd see him again.

Trip
Friday, Oct. 7
We both weren't nearly as excited as we should be for this trip. However, here we were, on a flight to Miami. I still couldn't believe it. The trip was planned prior to the current turn of events. I'd voiced my apprehensions a week and a half ago about going, given his father's condition. The BF said we're going. He was confident his father would be ok, just a little while longer. So we away we went. Four days and three nights, a reprieve from the sadness. It was a torturous flight, JAPs yakking the entire time behind us and an exorbinate amount of time waiting as they tried to extend the jet bridge to the plane but we eventually made it.

We were traveling with our friends, O and M. It was rainy but we walked about. We had cocktails by the hotel pool bar. Conversation was light to heavy as we filled in O and M as to the severity of the situation with the BFs father. I fell into a 2 hour nap in a hammock, the stress washed out of me. I was renewed but the looming spectre remained. We cleaned up and had dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, followed by some drinks at Twist. We were back in the hotel by 11:30PM or so, and fast asleep shortly.

All in all, we had a decent day.

Saturday, Oct. 8
Time Unknown
I was startled by the slam of door. I'd taken a moment to gain my bearings and realized the door slam was that of the hotel room. It was pitch dark in the room and I looked right to find the BF was not in bed. I jumped up and ran for the door, poking my head out. "Where the hell are you going?" I boomed, quietly. The BF had reached the interconnecting hall with the elevator bank before I jolted him awake. He looked around in confusion before sheepishly returning to the room. He'd never done this before. Sure, he'd leave the bed at home to lay on the couch, but never left a hotel room. Odd.

7:11AM
The phone rang, the BF's cell on the desk. I jumped up to grab it and hand it to him. It was his brother, calling to say his father had passed away in the morning. We were shocked. He started to call around, speaking to his siblings, notifying his friends. He cried, pained and angst ridden. I held him, tears welling up in my eyes, but I had to be strong for him. Not my turn to cry yet. I called to O and M's room, we needed M to help rearrange our travel plans. We got a flight out at 1:24PM that afternoon. We packed and headed out for breakfast, making the most of our time left in Miami.

Flurry
Approx. 12:40PM
We were late. We'd spent the afternoon too lazily. We walked around Lincoln Road, the BF making many arrangements on the phone, suits needed to be picked up, other people contacted. Thank goodness for our rich network of friends. But alas, we were late to the airport. They wouldn't check our bags. Fortunately, we could carry them on. I thought for sure we'd be held up in security. Luckily we did not. We did have to run from one end of the terminal to the next, to get to our gate, luggage in tow. We breathed easy once we were in our seats, mentally bracing for what was ahead.

With two heavy hearts that should have grounded it, the plane found wing and lifted off, taking us home to bury a father and a friend.