Sunday, February 13, 2005

The night didn't turn out as expected.

Saturday, the day itself was uneventful, but productive. I hit the gym, got a haircut, ran a few errands and then headed home for a catnap in preparation for the long evening.

Planned Itinerary:
Birthday Dinner in Staten Island
Last Dance, Closing Party at Spectrums in Brooklyn
Roxy?

Dinner was fine albeit late. We did not eat until 9:00. Anticipating the evening ahead, this was alarming to me. I'd hoped not to be bounding around on a full stomach. Throughout the evening, I'd gotten calls from friends, most of whom were at a pre-party for the Last Dance at Frank's (my party/dance buddy). Some left at 10:30 to head over to Spectrums. "They're heading over to help cut the lemons and limes," we joked. Finishing up at 11:30pm, myself and two friends headed out to Spectrums. Right before heading out, we'd received one last update, the line was around the corner.

Oh.



12:15AM - The queue was ridiculous. When I arrived, it was 3 people deep and not moving. The word got around and the club was unprepared for the large crowd. I contacted Neil, whom I assumed to be inside.

"I left!" he snorted on the phone.
"What?!?", I said incredulously.
"We (he and Eric) were on the line at 11:30 and Jay (the owner) came out and said it would be another hour before anyone else got in. People leaving said it was like sardines in there and coat check is closed! We're at Barracuda."

Regrouping, I called Frank and immediately pulled his friends, Jimmy, Trevor (mmm.. Trevor, handsome beefy bear, nice eyes. I'm crushing), Mike, Tim, Rob and one other ( I wasn't introduced), off of the line. Frank arrived shortly with Steve.

After putting everyone back into a car, Frank, myself and Steve headed into the city.
Hindsight, it's a shame that the guys did not get to see Spectrums, a chance to experience some of disco history has past. I'd hear this many times this night.

Revised Itinerary:
Last Dance, Closing Party at Spectrums in Brooklyn
Hi-Life, Lo-Life @ The Slide - EV
Roxy?

The Slide was an improvement. We were inside. Cute, grungy EV crowd. Nice vibe.
I'd been sober to this point, so two drinks set me straight. Watched the drag show, smoked a cigarette with Trevor, danced around with Jimmy, all was well. I wasn't going to be the first to say anything, but of course, Frank was.

"I'm not feeling this place. The music sucks. Let's go to Roxy."
"OK."

2:40AM - Off we went.

I hadn't been to Roxy Saturday in a while. All I can say is, "Holy Unspectacular Batman!!!!"

The party was more circuit-y than circuit parties. The track selection was mostly vocals, which for anyone who knows, is death to me. I'm guessing the nature of last night's party, The Love Ball, would explain the excessive number of songs with "love" in it, ie. Who do you love?, Show Me Love, Love You Some More, Looking for Love etc. While I do like some of these songs, it was too much, thanks. Don't do it again.

A regular gripe with Mr. Rauhofer, TOO MANY BREAKS!!! It kills the energy in the room. Sorry you had that abysmal wreck and had to pull the track. Please clean CDs thoroughly before use.

I apologize for being a Negative Nancy. I did make the best of my time at Roxy. I was happy to hang and dance with friends especially Greg, an ongoing crush and flirt. I was ready to leave with Frank but running into him, I stayed another hour or so. But being tired and leaden in the legs, I called it quits at 6:15.

I had expectations, I was assured to be disappointed.

6:30AM - Trains are slow.



I know, I know... a cab would have been faster.. but if I have to hear about another cabbie's urinary tract infection, I'd have to kill him. I hate cabs. They always refuse to take me home to Brooklyn from Manhattan. Hence, I train it.

FYI, iPod Shuffle nestled in my pocket was rocking me all the way home.

7:30 AM Home. Shower. Bed.