Sunday, February 27, 2005

Polishing a turd. Finding balance.

Do I look tired?

In the last 48 hours, I've slept 12 hours. When I write it, it looks like a lot, but when I think back on the past two days, it was very little and has been a trying experience at that. No, it wasn't some drug-induced bacchanal tizzy. A part of me wishes it was, but no, everything in moderation and that is totally not my modus operandi ( I just wrote "totally"?!). On the contrary, I was working, once again cast adrift in the sea of unorganized and befuddling work.

All day Friday was spent waiting for work. For those curious, I'm a Studio Production Artist, doing photo-retouching, page-layout, presentations et al. Big whoop, especially when I'm sitting on my ass, doing nothing. Well, not really nothing, I do post to my blog and read my many cherished blogs. Keep it going boys. Oh.. and there's Halo. My game name is basher. We play Rocket-Only Slayer on "Hang "em High." I win a lot. >:)
Digression again.

They finally came to me with work at 8PM and in complete disarray. GRRRRRR.

"Could you put the frames in this page?"
"How many frames are there?"
"Three. Open the folder."
"There are five pictures in here?"
"There are five frames."
"But you... nevermind."

Confused? I spent most of the evening that way. Don't know how I did it, but I managed to work till 3:00AM. Unfortunately, I felt unaccomplished. The work was so in the beginning stages when it came to me. I was setting templates, art directing and flowing content. Frustrating.

On a positive note, I had the best experience with a taxi last night.
NOT like that potty head, but nice to finally get a cabbie that knows Brooklyn... and doesn't give me some sob story about not going there. I zonked out about 4AM and woke with a start at 10AM. I'd promised to be in at 9AM. EEP!
Called my manager, things are good and in much better shape than we all anticipated. I could take my time. Whew.

Back to work. Had to wait to get back into the fray. Once in, I got into a zone and cooked. Pride myself on my speed and accuracy, but still, the sheer amount of work, I was finally done and out by 11:15PM.
Long week. Not much of a weekend left. I may have to turn around and go back in today (Sunday).
We shall see.

"Don't work too hard, because you'll have to play hard," said RoboCub to me.
Tonight, I realized, I needed this.

Sick... huh?