Friday, March 11, 2005

Enter stage left, Ivan.

Last night, I went to see my friend Hunter's play, The Shooting Stage. After a day of struggling with work among other things (medicine head, blogger.com glitches, my ineptitude at modifying my blog template, JavaScript inconsistencies, to name a few) taking some theatre in, was a good respite. The theatre was conveniently located at the Cultural Project on Bleecker, around the corner from work.

Arriving at the theatre, I felt out of place. Belfast Blues was also performing. I was the only non-Irish there until I spotted two elderly Asian theatre matrons, who seemed equally out of place. We, three, adrift in a sea of brogue.

I knew nothing about Hunter's play. I'd known he was in a new play but didn't know it was open until Siobhan asked if I'd like to go see it. While waiting, I picked up a flyer.

Ah, there's Hunter in the flyer and…
…Oh.
There's a half-naked boy standing there too.

This could be interesting.


Ivan (Noah) and Elliot (Hunter)


Brief Synopsis:
The Shooting Stage by Michael Lewis Maclennan (Queer As Folk)
Twenty years ago, child TV star Len took a photograph of a nude boy. Now the portrait has resurfaced as part of an obscenity trial and the subject has returned to confront Len. At the same time, teenage Elliot pursues his secret "sissy boy" ambitions while bullied by a troubled schoolmate who himself is mired in a web of lies. Elliot's friend Ivan may be able to stop the inevitable disaster, but only if he can find the courage to transform himself. Ultimately, The Shooting Stage explores how boys become men, and how the fortunate survive violence through acts of the imagination.


While I thoroughly enjoyed watching Hunter perform, I was primarily fixated with Ivan (Noah Peters) for the duration of the play. He did get down to his skivvies. YUM.



Oh.. and the play, it was good too. Without giving away too much, I understood and sympathized with the neverending cycle of abuse (adult to child) and the awkward stages of coming out. The story's ending was far too cliche. Why is it that most gay plays/films, always have the primary character go through some life changing experience, but the one's they're drawn to, are too damaged to come around? Learn the lesson but never attain what you want. Go forth with your heart, knowing what you know. Sigh.

Tired. I guess I always want the CinderFella story.

Additional Review here.

End of the story, had a drink with Hunter after the show. Noah's 23, just graduated college, says he's straight but is ambiguous. Double sigh.