Monday, March 28, 2005

"Wait, I still function."

I haven't reduced my hands to useless stumps… as yet. The opposable thumbs work and I'm not writhing in pain at the twisting and torquing of my wrists. I'm good.

I won't completely disregard the possibility of permanent damage from playing the PSP. It has ergonomic issues. The analog nub is below what is comfortable for my left thumb.

The act of playing the PSP puts my head at an odd angle, looking down. My neck, being disengaged as such, wrecks havoc particularly on my trapezius from the back of my neck, between the shoulder and neck, from the upper to the center of my back. I've been prone to getting stiff necks, even before the PSP. Whenever I used my PDA (I never actually used it to organize my life, but to play extensive amounts of Scrabble and Text Twist), I'd feel that familiar twang in my neck. I'd be forced to stop or suffer the consequences. While working out this muscle, I've felt a pop with a mind-numbing, white light of pain. It meant the end of my workout and I'd furiously massage my trap, to ease the pain and reduce the recovery time.

In the interest of prevention, here are a few exercises I'll be rotating into my routine and what I'd suggest for the avid PSPer.

Text is courtesy of popularfitness.com and betterbodz.com.

Wrist Curls - Palms Face Up
Performing the exercise:

This exercise stresses the flexor muscles on the insides of your forearms.

Grab a barbell. Start with a very light one to get the feel for the movement of this exercise. Place it on the bench. While sitting on the bench, place your hands under the bar, your palms facing upward, your hands and wrists - hang at the end of the bench. Slowly lower the barbell until it is cupped in your fingers just below the bench (as low as your wrists will allow the barbell to go). Curl the barbell up in a small semi-circular arc as far as your wrists will allow. Repeat movement for about 15 repetitions, 3-4 sets.

Wrist Curls - Palms Face Down
If you want to work the extensor muscles on the outsides of your forearms, try doing wrist curls with your palms facing downwards. This is a little bit more difficult.

Variations:
If you don't have a barbell, try it with two dumbbells or a single dumbbell using the same above mentioned technique.


Upright Rows
These work the middle head of the deltoid muscle. You must be very careful to perform this exercise correctly. Improper form can lead to nagging, long term shoulder pain and injury. Beginners should avoid this exercise completely.

How to do:
  1. Stand with your feet approximately shoulder width apart.
  2. Using a overhand grip hold a barbell. Your hand should be about 8" apart. The barbell should be resting against your side
  3. Inhale, hold your breath and lift the barbell straight up. Concentrate on pulling with your deltoid and upper back muscles so that the action is concentrated in your shoulders.
  4. Keep your body erect, your hands as close to the body as possible and keep your elbow out and back.
  5. After reaching the upper most position under your chin, relax your muscles slightly and lower the barbell slowly. Exhaling on the return.
  6. Excessively heavy weights will limit your range of motion and destroy the effectiveness of this exercise.
These exercises are good measures against injury, but keep in mind, good posture and moderation in gameplay.