Monday, May 08, 2006

Entertaining the Aussies (Pt. 1)

O's friends from Australia, M and R, were on holiday in the states. They'd traipsed around California, SF, LA, Palm Springs for Coachella and DC, finally arriving in NY by train on Friday.

O had enlisted my input on recommendations for clubby things to do around NY for the duo, informing me that their musical tastes were similar to mine. I tallied a list of events that I'd like to hear. Regrettably, NY club land was dead on most fronts IMO, with untried and untested (by me) DJs playing in the large rooms.

The only thing I could recommend was Junior Vasquez's Master Class at Cielo on Sunday night. I had thought about going myself. Well, I'd already switched work arrival times with co-worker, so it was a strong possiblty and with the Aussies, I had an even greater reason to go.

Still that was a few days off.

Friday evening, O and I showed them around the town, an Aussie-NYer homo bar crawl.

It was my first time meeting M and R. They are absolultely sweet guys, outgoing and fun-loving. They are a trip. We started in Elmo where O and I had dinner, in preparation for the evening's drinking. Two drinks, then we moved on into the East Village.

First stop, The Slide.

They had a Black Out Party. Everyone wore a neon light bracelet, announcing their predilection for Top (RED), Bottom (BLUE), Versatile (GREEN), No Comment (YELLOW, how appropriate) or Pink (BLOWBUDDY). I wore a __________ bracelet.* Cute, but the crowd was spartan.

To some of the guys wearing RED bracelets, PLEASE! who are you kidding?!?

Two drinks, we moved on.

Next, The Cock.

We paid a grossly over-priced cover charge of $10 for what?!? We didn't venture out of the main bar area but was there more? Did I miss something? I'd never been to the original Cock, but I'd heard stories. I'd expected so much more. Guess the reputation is greater than the venue.

The dancers were cute, some nice butts swaying on the bar.

One drink, we moved on.

Next, Eastern Bloc

Former WonderBar space, I hadn't been here in years. Good memories… turned sour. Anyway, love what they've done with the space. It was never a huge space, but they've stuffed enough amibience in it, without creating a claustrophobic feel. Crowded with cool EV cats. The dancer was cute but had no ASSets.

One last drink. I called it a night.

Walking over to the subway was a chore. The train ride home was a lot worse. I hadn't been that drunk and on the subway in a while and the train was giving me a major case of the queasies. I barely made it home. Ok… maybe I threw up a little in my mouth. I just redoubled my focus, getting home to brush my teeth and collapse on the couch in the clothes I was wearing.

*You didn't think I'd tell you that easily did you? But I'm sure you've got your assumptions.