Monday, May 15, 2006

What a weekend!

Nothing like an activity packed weekend to keep your mind occupied.

Friday
Well, it wasn't off-the-wall crazy. BF and I had a few friends over the apartment to hang out and play poker. Mostly BF's doing. He figures it's a good opportunity for our friends to chill and drink margaritas while he's cooking up sausage and peppers and pesto pasta salad for a birthday party on Saturday (more on that later).

Plus, it's always a good time to play Texas Hold 'Em.

Small pot, $5 to buy in. Mostly fun times, albeit, we were blighted by beginner's luck. Friend R was winning eventhough he didn't know what the hell he was doing AND I helped him by calling one of his hands. Never again. I'd like to play a high stakes game, but on second thought, I'd like for everyone to stay friends. Second round, played better. I ended up being one of the last two players, It got boring and I was playing stupidly. The chip stacks looked even, I suggested we split the pot. Good for me as we played one more hand, for fun, and I would have lost. Heh.

So, yeah, while BF cooked and cleaned, I entertained.

Saturday
Birthday Party up in Pleasantville

Here's the birthday girl.



It was her first birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Fun but as I am invariably the designated driver, not that fun. Most family parties, well, the BFs family parties go on too long. My family? No, we don't party.

Drive home was uneventful and blissfully fast.

No, I wasn't speeding.


Much.

We’d left much later than I’d hoped. I’d wanted to get home and relax a bit, may be sneak in a nap (heaven forbid) before running back into the city.

Saturday night's activity, celebrating, formerly of Oh Really, Brad's birthday.

(Insert pause here because my DSL is sucking HARD tonight and I have to switch to my offline blogging application.)

Now, where was I… so, late to get home, only enough time to clean up, shower and head back out again.

Shrug.

Got to do, what I got to do.

After making requisite meet-up arrangements with Brad and Eddie aka RoboPapi, Robocub’s other half, I zipped in to the city. Stopping by the Robo’s for a bit, I waited for Brad. Once, he arrived, we headed off (sans RoboCub) to the Roxy with a quick stop over at GYM bar for a cocktail.



As seen in HX Homo Musts Section…
Queer as Home
City of Babylon @ Roxy, 515 W 18th St
If you miss your QAF, check out Roxy. The Chelsea megaclub transforms into the larger-than-life hotspot as the annual City of Babylon tour comes to New York, in association with Midori. DJ Manny Lehman is in command - we can't speak as to the backroom facilities.
They done up the Roxy, reminiscent of the club, Babylon, from Queer as Folk. Shrug. It was cute but whatever. RKM Future Boys or as some may remember them, Rubio & Kidd, decorated the Roxy with inflated, cityscape balloons. They performed on stage with their painted bodyart (yawn) and gargoyle-like wings. Fancy. All this, against the musical back drop of David Grey’s “Babylon” into Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing.” Cue confetti shooting, shiny, bejeweled guitar props to seal the deal. Oy. You’d have to be really high to appreciate it.

It’d been a while since I’d seen RKM perform, I think I’m good for another few years. Thanks.

The crowd was very thin at first but it did fill up fast, party ends at 6:00AM, have to get your groove on fast. Plenty of cute boys/men hanging around, beside my present company of Brad and Eddie. Plenty of stalkers too. Why do they all have to be “ew”? Le Sigh.

The music was a mixed bag all night. Manny warmed up the crowd, playing some obligatory Top 40/Pop remixes like Pink’s “Stupid Girls.” It was pretty lame. He even dipped back (maybe too far back) in the Pop archives and whipped out Madonna’s “Beautiful Stranger.” Double Groan. But more than once, he musically spiraled into a dead end, reduced to nothing but pots and pans. Twirling music as I call it. If I were a SIM character, I’d have had a big question mark over my head.

However when Manny was on, he was on. Rocking out some incredible body moving beats, I couldn’t identify them, didn’t care to. Groovy. I hadn’t sweat like that in a long time.

At about 5:50, the music cut, “Let no man put Asunder” played. That’s Victor’s swan song. Guess it’s Manny’s too. We made for the coat check and we were out the door.

All-in-all, Brad had a blast as did Eddie and I celebrating his birthday.

Can’t wait to do it again.

Well, not celebrate his birthday although I would, but I can’t wait a whole year. I meant go out again… with the boys. Not that I need a reason to go out, but I think you understood that.

Anyway…

AutoLove and I carried Brad and Eddie safely to their homes before turning ourselves homeward. Shower and in bed by 7AM.

Sunday
I hadn’t planned on coming back into the city, but I surprised myself and everyone else, showing up to Brad’s birthday brunch at Maraca's. It was my first brunch with the boys. Margaritas and mimosas were had as well as birthday tequila shots and cake, all with sombreros and disco lights. Lots of fun and great seeing everybody.

After that, I hightailed it home (again), back to bed. Content on a nice, fun-filled, friend-filled weekend.