Thursday, June 29, 2006

Botched!

If it ain’t broke, why fix it?
I should remind myself of this often, but alas it’s too late.

Apple released a firmware update for the MacBook Pro 17“. Surprising. The MBP17 has been a solid computer.

I hadn’t said anything for fear of jinxing things. Yeah, I’m a little superstitious.

I’ve been pleased to not experience any of the reported noises and problems like that of the MBP15.

The update seemed innocuous enough. Better fan control for better heat dissipation and other benefits if applied purported the update text. I’d reasoned that Apple wouldn’t/couldn’t screw up the machine.

So I updated.

I’d used it last night without incident. Kicking my legs up on the desk and leaning back in my chair, I blogged away as it rested on my lap. Hmm… it did feel cooler. Hurray, the update is a good one.

However this morning, I plugged the AC adapter in. I immediately heard the low whine emanating from the MBP.

CRAP! They screwed up my computer. I now have the dreaded built-in isight hum.

I’m nonplussed. I’m pissed.

Sigh. Hopefully they won’t wait two months for a fix like they did for the Apple iPod with video.

Labels: ,