Monday, June 19, 2006

Note to self: ALWAYS Lift with the legs

Friday morning, my back objected to lifting my upper torso. I couldn’t immediately recall exactly when I’d strained it, but it had to be Thursday afternoon.

I’d rushed home to move an old gas-powered refrigerator. It had been in my landlord’s basement, pre-dating him owning his(our) home. Maybe the house was built around it. Made of solid steel, it weighed a ton, give or take 1,500 lbs. Landlord’s son and I moved it out, with great effort, the prior weekend. We’d left it in the backyard, landlord arranging for a Friday bulk, rubbish removal. The fridge needed to be moved to the curb Thursday evening.

All there was, was only little ole me. I figured I’d be fine, seriously not expecting my 70 yr. old landlord to be of any real assistance. He didn’t happen to be home anyhow. On a dolly and on it’s side, the fridge was easy enough to move. “Lift with the legs,” I reminded myself when the time came to upright it. Soon I realized that hefting it into the standing position, would be a near impossible feat. The top was rounded with no way to grip. The sheer weight made it difficult for what clumsy grip I could get, to lift slowly.

No, this feat required one deft powerful movement.

This would have been the right time to remind myself, “Lift with the legs.”

I steeled myself, grabbed at the fridge and with one mighty heft, it tilted off the dolly and onto the sidewalk. Getting underneath the weight, I pressed upwards till gravity took hold of it, landing it flat on it’s bottom.

THUNK!!

I was awash in adrenalin. What a rush! I didn’t feel anything but elation. I’m sure I had a self-satisfied look on my face. I bounded up the stairs and ran out from there for the night.

Guess I should’ve gotten a clue when later that evening, walking around Chelsea with Friend O, I had an inexplicable numbness radiate down into my left ankle. It was probably more my entire lower body but the alcohol was scrambling my receptors.

I don’t want to think I have a jinx before Gay Pride Weekend, but it was around this time last year that I sprained my left ankle AND it was with friend O.

Hmmm.

Well, Friday was a terrible day after a decent night of drinking. I skipped working out and tried loosening up at the gym, to no avail. I suffered through work and arrive home to rest, put some heat on my back.

What would I do?

Well, I have always been ignornant of pain. Why should I be different in this case?



Labels: