Sunday, June 25, 2006

Gay Pride 2006… thus far

Happy GAY Pride New York!

Everywhere, my gay brothers and sisters, and our straight, ever so accepting, fun-loving friends are being themselves, going with the flow and the flow is good positive energy.

Thus far…

Friday
mr. Black
It was rainy and wet that night. I was tempted to go the big wussy route, stay home and dry. During a respite in the rain, I charged out of the house, contrary to my instinct and I'm glad I did.

Second time I've been to this little party down in NoHo. Meet up with H and N, and their friend, M. Lots of cute Village-y boys. Happy Coincidence, friend O and his band of friends were there as well, cutting up a rug. Music was surprisingly danceable, funky and fresh. Nice chunky, hard beats.

Saturday Night
Ok, it was more Sunday morning.
Evolve, Victor Calderone at Crobar.

The usual Friend Frank shenanigans withstanding (ie. say he'll pick me up 4:20 (late 4:38), have to stop at his apt. so that he can shower, have friends sit in car waiting for 10 minutes for no reason yada yada yada. TIRED!), we arrived at 6AM. (Ok, it WAS Sunday morning) I'd probably have arrived at that time had I left and taken the train in. Most likely untrue. I just wasn't letting Frank's antics give me a bad head.

Crobar was packed, more than I'd ever seen it for an Evolve party.
Hard to break into the solid mass of bodies on the dancefloor, but we did.
Nice and handsome crowd. When we'd arrived, you could see the exodus of straight people leaving. It was the gay squeeze as the usually mixed crowd, became gayer in the late morning hours especially for GAY Pride.

Victor was doing a decent job. He'd flubbed a few times which was surprising. In my recent memory, he hadn't ever messed up till tonight. He was using the stage DJ booth as opposed to the house booth, maybe that was it.

Anyway, the music? Good techy, progressive, tribal beats. I've heard him a few times in recent months and it's starting to sound repetitive. I'll need to take a long break from him.

During the morning, we learned that he was only spinning till 10AM. Bother. I wouldn't have waited for Friend Frank, opting to have arrived earlier, had I known. However, that explain why musically, something was missing. I never got fully engaged by Victor's spinning, music selection and programming. He spun like there was an end.
Still, had a good time but not the great time I hoped.

Well, here's looking forward to Junior tonight but I'm trying to keep my expectations low so that in any case, I'll be surprised.

Labels: , , ,