Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Millennium Actress

I’m almost through my latest stack of anime. Looking forward to the next installments of all the series I’m in to. Watching series can be quite an investment of time, most people aren’t willing to dedicate.

For those people, I wanted to recommend Millennium Actress.



It’s a one shot movie that'd received critical acclaim in it’s theatrical run. I’d ordered it after reading some positive write-ups. As luck would have it, my first order of Millennium Actress was part of a much larger order of anime that’d gotten lost in the postal system. Thanks USPS!

Undeterred, I ordered it again from Amazon, albeit at a higher price and with more (unnecessary) items.

However, I’m glad I did.

It’s a beautifully animated piece, with lush backgrounds and fantastic, fluid movement. Probably some rotoscoping involved. The storytelling is top notch as well as very inspired.

Admittedly, it’s not an easy movie to plow through. Some of the storytelling elements are confusing. I’m purposely being vague because you have to see it to understand.

Depending on your point-of-view, another negative could be the movie is NOT dubbed in english, only subtitled. There have been some commenter complaints to this point but I’ve personally decided that it’s actually better subtitled. Granted you MAY miss some of the great animation while reading the subtitles, but what you gain is a more invested interest in the movie. Perhaps that’s why some people become so addicted to anime, myself included.

All things aside, see it. It’s a great story. It got me misty and that’s saying a lot.

Labels: