Saturday, July 08, 2006

Brooding - Independence Weekend Recap

Apologies for the unintended silence. The off-time during July 4th weekend from blogging just carried over into the week.

It’d been a nice, Independence Day weekend, lots of running around, hitting the beach, barbecues, eating too much, friends and unfortunately only a touch of dancing.

I’d been mostly sulking the past few days about that last bit.

Last year, I’d taken friend M to Spirit to hear Danny Tenaglia for birthday, where we’d had a blast, I was more than happy to oblige again this Independence Day. The inimitable Mike P. of Blather and Bosh joined us as well. I drove in from Brooklyn and picking him up along the way.

Funny moment, after leaving my house and driving many blocks enroute to Mike P., I had to turn back around because I’d forgotten M’s gift. I seethed and admonished myself that I’d become Friend Frank, making a simple task into an unnecessarily, complicated one. And I got lost in Flatbush for a moment but it was my old neighborhood. Even drove past my old elementary school. Yeah, the one I chipped my tooth at.

Continuing…

Mike P. and I stopped by the Eagle for a beer while we waited for M to arrive. Mike P. geeked with the bartender, talking about WoW. Said bartender also threw down the invisible gauntlet, ballyhooing his prowess in Halo. Perhaps a test of skills is in order.

Getting M’s phone call, I left Mike P. to meet up with her and head over to Spirit.

Arriving, clumps of people waiting for other clubs, momentarily deceived us. We thought it would take forever to get in but it wasn’t the case. We got in quickly, painlessly. As an added bonus, we walked in to see Danny standing by the entry. Saying hello and introducing M, we chatted.

He remarked that he hadn’t seen me in forever and I’d disappeared.
I meekly responded, “I was at the Crobar party.”
“Well, you don’t make yourself known anymore.”
I was crushed. Hugging Danny, I promised to do better and we went into the club.

The club was not very packed. The opening DJ was playing some minimal tech house and the crowd was grooving. The mood was thick with anticipation. Everyone sensed they were in for a magical journey. Danny jumped on the mic to wish everyone a Happy Independence Day and with the promise of a 12 hour marathon set, got everyone foaming at the mouth

By the time, he took the decks, we were all ready.

Earlier on, Danny experienced technical difficulties, going so far as to state so on the mic as he called for some help in the booth. Mike P., who’d rejoined us by now, winced in pain as he heard Danny flub a mix.

We’d never perceived these events as portents. We should’ve.

Around 3-4AM, while we danced, emergency flood lights washed over a portion of the club. Other parts were plunged into darkness. Danny came on to the mic to announce that most of the 27th Street club strip had lost power. However, Spirit, our club was the only place still rocking albeit hobbled. Con Edison was called. We hoped they would save the day.

We continued to dance.

Noticeably, the air got thicker, wetter. The AC had been a casualty of the power loss.

We continued to dance.

I wasn’t sure if it was my imagination but it felt like when the AC died, Danny ramped up the energy in the music. This was contrary to what I would have expected.

The floor was slick with a sheen of water. Everyone slipped and slid, dancing around, drenched in sweat, grooving happily, energetically. They were having a blast as was I.

Danny announced, Con Ed was on the scene. We kept our fingers crossed.

Around 6:30AM, I noticed the bartenders shutting down their areas, putting away liquor, not manning their stations. Trying to get to the bathroom, I noticed, they’d been shut too. Uh-oh. Not good.

I went back to M and Mike P., saying I don’t think the party was going to go much longer.

Sure enough, 7:00AM as Danny mixed in the next track, the music cut to a dead silence. Con Ed failed to restore power.

We hung around the darkened dancefloor. Stupidly, I thought, “if it’s over, why don’t they bring the main lights on?”… um… duh?

We waited, hoping for the music to start up again.

But that never happened.

I wasn’t ready to stop but I had to. With M and Mike P., we headed to AutoLove. Dropping them home, I arrived home around 8.

Unsatisfied and disappointed, I laid in bed for much of the day.

Hence, I’ve been brooding.


Labels: