Thursday, August 03, 2006

Relief

I hadn't noticed, but I'd been holding my breathe for three days. Well, not literally. I'd be dead and blue if that were true. More accurately, I'd been waiting in bated breathe for any news of my friend.

Not wanting to get into details, it's a tale of woe you'd hear associated with the circuit/party scene. Similar stories I'd heard before, never imagining such an occurrence would befall anyone close to me.

Was it arrogant of me to believe my friends are infallible? or is it hopeful?

Regardless, something happened to a friend during the Pines Party. More scared than I would admit, I was crushed.

I felt guilty. How couldn't I protect him?
I felt angry. Who did this to him?

It was a terrible feeling.

I was told some promising things before leaving Fire Island, however indefinitive. The gravity of what'd happened didn't sink in, until more and more days passed. I called the only number I had, leaving a message.

Waiting in silent anguish, I hoped for a happy resolution.

Wednesday morning, a phone call from a phone number I didn't recognize. His voice was quiet, but sent waves of relief through me. I felt like I'd taken my first breathe in a long time.

I was truly happy to hear his voice and I told him so.

He couldn't really speak at that moment, but he assured me he was "okay." Picking up the pieces as it were.

We parted promising to see each other soon.

I know I'll hug him extra hard when I do. Perhaps give him a slap up side the head after, but I'd hug him again.



Thanks to everyone I've spoken to, and who've commented. You mean a lot.

Labels: