Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Sympathetic Harmonics

A Wednesday Night Musing



New York City. It's a large metropolitan complex. But even here, aren't there times when you've run into someone coincidentally? A little too coincidentally?

I'm not talking about the supposed "random" encounters that you have, like when you run into that person you thought was cute, you'd seen the other day at the gym and gawked at each other. Those "random" events are made possible by unconscious thought and desire. Yes, really. Don't go screaming it was fate. We all have inner workings which we don't quite fully understand and they'll make us do whatever keeps us happy and sane. Yeah, like that time when that friend ran into you on 14th Street, you were surprised. But maybe he wasn't. Then you became great friends and then fooled around and... well... just think about it.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. During a lunch break from my job in the Woolworth Building, I'd gone up to Union Square to shop around. On the way back, I opted to take the 6 train local, as opposed to the express 4 or 5. Under normal circumstances, I'd have waited for an express. The stopping and starting of a local train drives me batty. Happily, I stood in the doorway, comic books (remembered, I'd gone to Forbidden Planet that day) nestled under my arm, the train trundled along. As it pulled into the Canal Street station, my door opened before me to reveal my father.

Dad! What are you doing?
Oh, I don't know. I'm trying to get home.

Dad was inexorably lost. I got off the 6 and walked him down to the N, the proper train to get him home. Riding with him for one stop, I got off at City Hall and returned to work.

He never did have the knack for the subway. When we were kids, my brothers and I were out with my father. Going home, we were underground for 2 hours. Cold, hungry and tired, we jumped up and down in joy when we saw a D train, our D train pulling into the station, to take us home.

We both never should have been there. But yet we were, same place, same time. Because I needed to help him.

Events like these reaffirm my belief that in each of us, we resonate harmonics which through familiarity, are picked up by friends and family. We become attuned to one another, the closer we are. Maybe that'll explain that nagging feeling that you've met someone before. It could be that their resonating a familiar vibe. Can be a mindfuck, couldn't it?

This is in the forefront of my mind tonight, since I had a similar experience tonight. Me and a former co-worker/friend "ran" into each other. Neither of us should have been on the train, but by a strange string of events, there we were. Her brother's (also a former co-worker) boyfriend is celebrating his birthday this weekend. We'd be seeing each other anyhow. Odd. Coincidence? Don't know. Harmonics, maybe sharpening. Honing.