Monday, March 14, 2005

The Weekend Gym - A Rant

I'm all business when it comes to the gym. I have a single purpose, to work out and get out. Five times a week, I'm there. Weekday mid-mornings, I've got the run of the place. I like it that way. Things need to be just so for my experience to be productive and satisfying. The people whom I see regularly are of the same mind, all business. We stay out of each other's way. The locker room staff is attentive and the staff on the gym floor is considerate.

On occasion, I find I'd can get to the gym on the weekend. It's a bonus. I can take my time but what I'm really thinking is I can work in some additional routines, do cardio too and take more time.

Time and again however, I'm reminded, on weekends, the gym belongs to the uninitiated, the semi-dedicated, the selfish, the rude, the inconsiderate and less than pleasant staff.

Weekend Warriors.
It is truly amazing to find the gym packed at noon on Saturday, always not a treadmill open to be found. What are they thinking? Do they honestly believe that only working out on the weekends will help them? Their money would be better spent on therapy for a reality check than a gym membership.

These people are also incredibly unfamiliar with gym etiquette. They hog benches, weights and machines, sometimes more than one at a time. Weights are never cleared or returned to their proper place. Everything is clearly marked, so is there really an excuse? No, it's just laziness and how does that fit into a gym.

Last month, one of these uninitiated walked under my cables as I did flys. What incredible stupidity. These people are a menace to everyone.

Please stop. It hurts me to watch you.
Every gym has them, people that obviously don't know what they're doing. It pains me to watch them. Twisting and straining to lift weights, they're a pulled muscle, dislocated shoulder or torn ligament waiting to happen. There's nothing worse than poor form and ignorance. I spent alot of time reading books and magazines on bodybuilding and strength training. Worked out at home with a Soloflex (yes, Soloflex, not at all shabby, thank you very much) before I had enough courage to join a gym. The Soloflex was very good. It taught me not to throw the weight around and concentrate on the movement of my muscles. This was my education.

This is an investment in yourself. It takes time and patience. There is no easy way, and there is only one right way. If you're not going to do the background work and educate yourself, then hire a trainer to teach you.

Just not…

The Unprofessional Trainer
All so known as the inconsiderate trainer. It's outrageous that I should encounter a trainer, that does not follow gym etiquette. This past weekend, I did. She was working with a client, and occupying two chest press benches, the space between them but not using the presses at all!!!! We'll refer to this trainer as idiot going forward. So, idiot has dumbbells on one bench while she has her client doing stomach exercises on the other.

Are you using this bench?
Yes. (dripping)
You fucking c*nt. I didn't say it, but boy did I think it.

Idiot proceeds to take her client to yet another seated station to do other exercises. What a newb. I took one of the benches. I wasn't free yet, there was another trainer working with his client in the space next to this bench as well.Why can't they err on the side of caution?

I'll be formulating my complaint to NYHRC soon.

Sigh. I think I got it all out.