Sunday, April 17, 2005

Friday Rewind

I had the day off, not because I needed to, but because I could and I wanted to. The week at work was slow except for two long nights. I didn't mind it since it's not the operating norm. Thursday, my manager asked if my co-worker or I was interested in taking the day on Friday. Co-worker can't operate with an open schedule, makes him crazy. He needs things planned in advance to fill his time. I, on the other hand, like to fly by the seat of my pants, so the day off defaulted to me. Yippee.

A nice lazy day, it worked out well. I hit the gym for a good workout, not too hard though. I didn't want to hurt myself for the evening's activities. I'd finished early and after killing some time shopping around, I sat in Madison Square Park and basked in the sunlight, while I waited for Neal. He was coming in from CA for a long weekend visit. We were going to Koreatown for lunch, after he jammed with our former co-workers. He rang me, talking loudly into the phone (must've been a good jam session). Neal was a few blocks away, so he came to met me at the park.

It was great to see him. I don't know if I really expected him to be any different. He'd only been gone since the beginning of the year. We'd maintained contact via email, phone calls and my blog. He's been very encouraging about my blog which has been helpful. I'll keep him informed via my blog as to the goings on in my life. He says I live like a rockstar. If only that were really true. Where are all my man groupies!?! Neal's even got his own blog. We fell into talking as if no time had passed as we walked up into Koreatown (FMI, read this and then this).

We decided to have something light to eat. Our other option was Korean barbecue and we both weren't feeling it. Neal chose Kunjip restaurant. It was very hectic inside, the tail end of the lunch crowd. I love authentic Asian food places, they always smell like my grandmother's kitchen. It warms my heart, it does.

Neal and I ordered. I went with the bibimbob (phonetic spellings vary, but this is what I read on the menu). I can't recall what Neal ordered (I could cheat and read his blog post but I'd be pretending like I paid attention when I did not.) Meal included, what I'd equate to Italian anti-pasta, seaweed, seasoned green beans, kimchee (in several varieties), sprouts and glass noodles.

We ate, we talked. All good. Primary topics: my blog, his blog, my robo-fetish (for which I believe, he's the only one who REALLY understands me). Californian life has been agreeable to him and only recently hit a snag, hence the NY visit. We didn't talk much, if at all, about it. It sucks but Neal's a strong-minded guy. It's an elephant in the living room, but I imagine he'll chase it out soon, in his own time. For now, I'm here for him and he knows it.

Afterwards, we walked over to the robot store, because I have a problem and Neal indulges me. Stopped into Barnes & Noble looking for The Alienist. Didn't find it but I broke out the laptop and I gave him some music "to review" and he gave me Godzilla Final Wars. AWESOME.

In Union Square Park, amongst the descending sun, the street dancers, the beatnik/oddball bopping by himself and the skateboarders, we parted ways. I was heading home to get some sleep and he was going to walk till the sun set.

To borrow Neal's own term, he's a good egg. He's in CA, it's good for him. I'll visit. I enjoyed our time on Friday, and I'm positive there'll be more. I worry a bit, but he's got his head on straight.