Friday, April 08, 2005

Make the hurting stop.

Oliver posted about the most Patriotic Video ever.
(click the link at your own peril)

I watched it.
Big Mistake.

Now, the song has taken residency in my head, filling my quiet time with "...and you must carry on!!!!" I can't get my iPod out fast enough to quell the intrusion.

It's torturous. It won't go away. It's not that I like it. On the contrary, I loathe it. My manager is astounded at the awfulness of it that he's playing it over and over again, for whoever that'll watch it. Usually they watch in disbelief, wanting to laugh but uncertain if they should.

I cannot believe that it is not a parody. The guy's heart is in the right place, but why couldn't he have done it better? People, like Middle America and the Red States, are uplifted by it. I'm sullied by it.

The cheese factor kills me. The lyrics kill me. I'm not an expert on English, but he has pronoun trouble. I'd been searching the web for the lyrics (NO, I don't want to listen to it again to get them.)

Here are some memorable quotes I've found searching the web. I'm not the only one thankfully.

Last summer I went to San Francisco. I arrived in the midst of San Francisco's annual gay-pride parade. Until just now, that was the gayest thing I had ever seen, then I watched that video.


Aaaaaghh!!!! I guess we should have seen this one coming, but I still can't quite believe it. America We stand as one is the horrible convergence of patriotism, national tragedy and some kind of weird implicit pedophilia. Watch this video, and forever be scarred.

The lyrics are trying too hard, like Mr. Big's "To Be With You." C-H-E-E-S-Y.

If the song doesn't leave my head, I'll have no further recourse but a self-administered pre-frontal lobotomy.