Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Sodium Spike.

Oy, my head. I had every intention of writing a post about my next robo-lust (still to come) or something pithy, but dinner has blood vessels constricting in my head. It was a grilled chicken salad with a fat-free caesar dressing. Tasty and made extra nice as the BF and I were watching "Lost." (Are you watching "Lost"? No. You should be.) Seemed harmless enough until as I was driving the BF to bowling, the throbbing in my head became relentless. (a little less than 120bpm. Any more, I'd be dancing.)

Upon arriving home, I checked the label on the the dressing. 300mg of sodium in one serving of 2 tbsp. WTF!?! No wonder I was dying from a vice grip on my head. I've been dousing my system with water the last 2 hours. The conga drums are finally subsiding.

Whew.

While I didn't drown my salad, I'm betting I had 2 servings, 600mgs of sodium more than my average consumption of salt. Unlike my friend Brian, who'll salt his food before tasting it (Hi Bri, Mep!), I'm not a salt person. To each his own. When I was younger, I'd put soy sauce on everything (Chinese house, what'd you expect?). I am a fan of spicy foods though and love a sweet chili sauce.

My grandmother would always exclaim, "All that spicy stuff will make you crazy!!"

LOOK AT ME NOW GRANDMA!!! LOOK AT ME NOW!!!

WHOA!!!!

I do like my condiments. But before I season or sauce my food, I'm always reminded of a little cartoon short that I used to see on TV. It was a PSA teaching kids not to drown their food. I found it here. (You'll need Realplayer MAC/PC to see it.)

Education, 80's Style is loaded with other PSA treasures. Check them out.

These may not have been as popular as Schoolhouse Rock with their songs about Adjectives and Pronouns but they were memorable nonetheless.

I need another glass of water.