Monday, April 11, 2005

Weekend Recollection

My Big Gay Dance Night

Rewind to Saturday night, Robocub and I went out dancing at the Roxy where Manny Lehman was spinning. I meet up with him at his place along with his BF Eddie, out-of-towners Mark, Jim and John. Nice digs, he introduced me to some of his robo-pals in his collection, like Giant Robot from Doctor Who (How "giant" is he?) and R2-D2, which Robocub described to be "creepy."

After sitting for a few drinks and chatting, we headed out to the Roxy early, figuring it would be crowded. The crowd was light at that time, but at least, we didn't have to wait on any lines. The club filled fast. The boys got cuter but you did have the occasionally creepy guy, bumping uglies next to you.

Dude, it might be getting you off rubbing up to me, but you're grossing me out.

The music kept everyone moving. Manny threw down a good set with one hiccup that I could recall, a skippy track. Musically, I can't say it was anything memorable.

As I was listening to Yoshitoshi Ibiza this morning, I realized that there's a desperation to circuit party-esque music. It's a lot of high energy beats, telling you how to feel and how to dance, very simplistic. The tracks that really get to me and really "turn my crank" are multi-layered with subtleties. Perhaps a deep bass groove with a high hat coming in and riff tease here and there, what you garner from such a track is solely up to you. Circuit music cuts to the chase and wants you to be the Energizer bunny bounding around. It can be fun, but by the end of the night, it all sounds the same. Maybe that's why I get thoroughly bored at the end of Alegria. Engage me, make me think. Don't batter me with beats.

Sorry about the little aside, a Monday morning musing.

My friend O eventually joined us. We danced a little longer after Robocub and Eddie left. I think we left at 7, by then the club was emptying out. A good time was had by all. Can't wait to do it again. Oh wait, I'll be doing it again next week. :)

Sunday Discombobulation

Much of Sunday was spent in recovery from Saturday night. I was extremely tired and made even more so by enduring a long train ride. By my arrival at home, I couldn't tell if I was coming or going. I spent the morning sleeping.

The BF and I headed to Staten Island in the early afternoon to his brother's. The drive was great as the sun beamed through the sunroof and felt warm. At times a bit too warm as the heat was burning through my jeans. Ouch.

Immediately, upon arrival, I proceeded to grab a reclining chair, set it up in the backyard, take off my shirt and sit out. The first sun of the year, pure joy. Don't know how long I was out there, but I did get some color.

We ate, we hung out, we watched Tiger win the Masters and we headed home. Very relaxing.