Friday, April 15, 2005

Spamalot



Last night, the BF and I went to see Spamalot. He'd gotten these tickets back in February for us as an anniversary gift. I wasn't overly impressed.

Oh, gee thanks. I'm such a dick sometimes.

While I enjoy the theater, more often than not, I forget that fact. Several times, the BF had to remind me that he'd gotten the tickets and they were a good get. I was unconvinced until I read some previews on it and they were positive. From then, I was excited and made it a point to remember that we had theater tickets for last night.

Spamalot is based, or as it is billed, lovingly ripped off from Monty Python and the Holy Grail for which I am a fan. For any one who hasn't seen it, what the hell are you waiting for? Forewarned, it is English humor, most people won't get it. It'll require a viewing or two to really appreciate it, like Napolean Dynamite.


Prior to the show, the BF admitted he'd never seen MP and the Holy Grail. Back of my mind, Uh-Oh, will he get this? Well, he gets my humor, he's sure to get this. This explained why, when we arrived at the theater and they had the fuzzy killer rabbit at the concession stand, I exclaimed, "Oooh look, rabbit, with fangs like this and an angry streak this wide. I want one!" He looked at me like I was insane. I am a little, but isn't that fun? Insane as I am, $40 is NOT a reasonable price for a stuffed bunny rabbit.

Spamalot is the musical version of the movie. While it completely lifts segments of the movie, Eric Idle and John Du Prez adapted it with hilarious lyrics and fantastic musical numbers. I won't go into detail, but it's all fun. The play is very contemporary. The stars are Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce and Hank Azaria. Notably, Sara Ramirez, playing the Lady of the Lake, is totally awesome as are some of the other roles, Patsy and Herbert to name a few. Pierce and Azaria play double and triple duty on some other roles as well, ie. Azaria as the French Taunter, I fart in your general direction!!!

Musical and movie comparisons abound, I will only say this, Go see it. They're not the same so why bother making the comparisons? It's entertainment. If you're going to nitpick and dissect it, then you must be a very lonely person. Here's someone who gets it.

It was a fun night. But be warned (again), you'll have to suffer the tourists in Times Square and the idiots in the theater who completely misquote the movie and recount the scenes from the movie incorrectly. SHUT UP!!! YOU SOUND LIKE A TWIT!

Sigh. I will not suffer fools willingly.

Give me the flag.