Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Pride Weekend recounted (Part 1 of 2)

It's been a few days since my last post. I've got some catching up to do.

Pride weekend 2005 wasn't the whirlwind weekend I usually line up for myself. Former roommate and BFs cousin scheduled the christening of her newborn daughter for Sunday. Also hampered by my sprained ankle, I had little hope that the celebrations would be satisfying and rewarding. Sigh.

Saturday, I hit Riis Beach in Rockaway. It was a nice drive but I was annoyed with the driver of the Lexus in front of me that felt he had no obligation to signal any of the turns he was making. Lazy ass. Onward, I met up with friendgirls A and M. We hung out, chatted and walked in to the water. The coolness of the water felt good on my ankle but the pounding surf pushed me around too much. I pushed my ankle to quickly and made it sore again. Dang.

Upon getting home and icing my ankle, I re-evaluated my Pride agenda. That evening, I had hoped to meet up with Diego for some Pride-centric drinking. Much to my regret, I called him to say, that I wouldn't be able to make it. He said he'd be back in the city another time and we'd meet up then. I wonder if he remembers speaking to me since he sounded drunk on sake?

I'd begun to seriously doubt if I'd be going to Junior's party at Spirit. I'd called my manager to say if it was okay for me to go into work on Monday (I'd scheduled to be off), as it seemed my plans were falling through. Rather than have a mediocre and painful time, I'd eat the $50+ ticket and not lose a day of pay. Believe me, I didn't think I'd be missing much. Junior was "eh" the last time I heard him. I'd mentioned that I may miss the party to Friend Frank and he was upset. It was I who'd told him to get a ticket for Junior and he was going to hold me to attending, even if it was for a little while.

Saturday Night = BUST!

Sunday was a gloriously hot, perfect day for a parade and pier dance, neither of which I was going to. The BF and I drove up to Westchester with the In-Law, BFs mother for AE's christening. It was a nice affair. Nothing traumatic/dramatic to speak of, a gathering of family and friends for a blessed occasion. First, we stopped by A and S's house before heading to the church and then to the reception. The reception had plenty of food and drink but every one was a little bit ornery. The room we were in, didn't have the greatest circulation. The air was hot and stagnate.

This made the In-Law *start sarcasm* an extreme pleasure *end sarcasm* to drive home. I'd also been bamboozled into driving home. BF drove there but drunk himself silly at the reception. Pulling the car up, In-Law yanked on the passenger door with all her strength (not once, not twice but three times) before I had a chance to unlock it, letting her in. This did not sit well with me. I heard my inside voice start to say "Did you break my door handle?" and before I knew it, I was saying it. BF was shocked but uncertain of what I said. In-Law didn't hear clearly either and thought I said she closed the door too hard. I let the subject drop. BF confirmed later what I said as soon as his mother was out of the car.

Door slam.
What was that thing about the door you said?

Enroute home, we drove through the city down the West Side. Robocub had sent a text saying he was at the Pier Dance. Traffic was heavy coming down to 14th Street and Christopher Street which made the trip laborious. True, we could have found a faster way, but I'd wanted to drive by the Pier Dance to take a peek even if it was at 25mph. We rolled down the windows for a moment to hear the music. Dang. I wish I could have gone.

Upon getting home, I immediate went to bed for a disco nap. I wanted to get to the party as early as possible with the thought of leaving as early as possible, if I decided to work. It was a restful nap, largely because I wasn't excited/anxious about going out. I wish I could do that all time. The night was laid out before me in my mind, but things have a way of changing.

PS: Again, not a JMG ending but an intermission for my reader(s).

Cue intermission music.

"Tall and tan and young and lovely, The girl from Ipanema goes walking, And when she passes each one she passes goes "a-a-ah!"