Sunday, June 19, 2005

Can't always have it all (Part 1 of 2)

I had high hopes for this weekend. It was to begin with Steve Lawler at Spirit and complete with a weekend in Fire Island. Fun, sun and plenty of dancing was the plan. Not exactly was what I ended up with.

Friday was like any Friday before going out. I'd get home as quickly as possible from work and I'd try for a nap. It never works out since I'm so excited to be going out in the first place. It was at a crucial point as I was drifting into sleep when on the street a large truck screeched to a halt, vibrating everything in the house and waking me up for good. So no nap occurred. The BF got home before friend Frank was to pick me up at 12:15. I'd be leaving from the club and heading out to FI and this gave me a chance to say goodbye to the BF for the weekend.

Frank showed up at the appointed time but we needed to go back to his place. He hadn't packed for the weekend. WTF!?!?! Meanwhile I was to figure out how to print his ticket for Lawler. His printer wasn't working and earlier, he'd tried emailing it to me and I was getting an email in eight parts, each registering a virus.. Long short, we were at his house for an hour and a quarter, the printer was shot. I had to send his ticket PDF through my personal account via web mail to myself, to print from my office (which only took 5 minutes tops!!)

Never again will I be held hostage to someone else's timing. Friend Frank has always been notorious but I've managed to avoid it by scheduling a meet up time.

We didn't arrive at Spirit till 2:30AM and I was quietly smoldering inside. At the entrance, Frank realized that he'd absentmindedly left his cigarettes in the store we were just in. "I'll see you inside," was my reply. I'd had enough of his antics for the night and at this point, I'd started to question if I wanted to go to FI.

Grabbed a quick drink and bottle of water, I went by the entrance and waited for Frank to come in. Once he did, we hit the dance floor.

This was an uphill struggle to get in the right head because Frank had put me into a bad one. I'd danced, I bopped, but couldn't get into the music. Lawler was throwing down a mean set but I was ornery. An asian couple doing their arrhythmic idiotic sway dance had been knocking into me. When they clocked a head into my lip, I shoved back, exclaiming "Enough!"

My night was not going the way I'd like.

The music was good, but my head still was shrouded in black. I was THAT annoyed. Add to that, at one point, a horrific smell wafted through Spirit. It was nauseating. I had to leave the main dance area. It was like someone crapped their pants but the scent faded fast.

By 5:00, I was starting to groove with the music and having a good time. Unfortunately, an hour and a quarter later, the music stopped and the lights came on. Spirit was closing. WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! This was not good. People hung around for a little, most in disbelief like myself but Lawler did NOT return to the decks. WTF!?!?!?!? I'd heard the bathroom attendant remarking that the club counted too few people remaining, about a hundred. I walked out in shock. We weren't ready to leave. We still had an hour and a half before we had to pick up Frank's friend to head out to Fire Island. What would we do?

(To Be Continued)

No, I'm not continuing for dramatic reasons, just not in the mood to write all this down just yet. Tune in later.