Wednesday, June 08, 2005

"How do you measure, measure a year."

This morning, my mood has markedly improved from yesterday overall. Even when I discovered that Ninja Bird Feeder had struck once again, I wasn't overcome with anger. Albeit I've committed to wait for NBF tomorrow morning. He/she strikes between 7:30 and 8AM . I HAVE YOU NOW. *insert evilbuddha laugh here*

Anyway, my mood is good, thanks in part to Crash, for pointing out that the trailer for Rent: The Movie was out. Like him, I must admit to feeling a swelling of emotion watching this. It'd been a long time since I'd seen the original play and I had the fortune of seeing the original cast. It's one of the few contemporary plays I've seen that is pertinent to me.

The trailer has "Seasons of Love" playing in it and it has brought me back to listening to the cast recording of the musical. Yeah, how gay of me, listening to musicals. But who cares? On the train, I was bopping to "Out Tonight" Daphne Rubin-Vega. Quite a rousing song. It got me going and elevated my spirits. Makes me want to go dancing. Oh wait, doing that this weekend with my man, Danny Tenaglia. Joy.

The rest of the Rent soundtrack is awesome with lots of touching songs. It brought back plenty of memories. If you haven't seen the play, I highly recommend catching the movie. It has the original cast, well most of them, Daphne was too old for a 19 yr. old Mimi. Don't know who's in the Broadway production these days, but still, support Broadway. Watch a play. :) Have fun.

It is refreshing how movies are back to pilfering Broadway for new material, especially musical Broadway. Previously, we've had Phantom of the Opera. It was a great movie production and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. By taking Broadway to the movie theater, it makes the stage more accessible to the masses but it can never replace the experience of live theater.

Broadway is doing the same by pilfering the movies. Spamalot is based on Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is based on the movie of the same name and recently, you have Wicked, based on The Wizard of Oz. Watching the Tony's on Sunday night (tres gay, I know) I saw a great performance by Norbert Leo Butz from DRS. He was fantastic and seems rightfully deserving of his Tony. I definitely have to catch the show.

Even TV isn't safe from stage. You had in limited run "The Family Guy On Stage." That has to be hilarious but I don't think they'd Stewie justice. Or could they?

Stewie: If I choose to make stool in my pants right now, you're the only one here to change me. What do you think of that, hmm?
Brian: I'm not going to change you.
Stewie: What?
Brian: I said, I'm not going to change you.
Stewie: You can't be serious. Well, what if I make a fudgie? Well, I just won't. I just won't that's all. I just won't. Blast! I just did.