Monday, June 20, 2005

Can't always have it all (Part 2 of 2)

I'd had one my worst club experiences to date. Friend Frank inconsiderately made me wait too long, putting me into a bad mood to start the night. I had to suffer a foul odor wafting through the club and I'd lashed back at the asian mosh pit. Lastly, I was prematurely ejected, as was everyone else, from Spirit. I never got my dance on. I was more than beside myself.

I'd suggested going to Discotheque, even if it was for an hour. Frank refused. I wasn't in any mood to argue.

We had a long drive ahead to Fire Island but it wasn't time to wake Frank's friend who'd be riding with us. Neither of us was in any condition to drive.

The outlook was bleak.

We collected the car near the club and drove down into the Chelsea, parking and hanging out like vagabonds. It was surreal as we watched other clubbers meandering around. Some knocked on the car window, to acknowledge us, which I found odd.

"Call E and see if we can crash at her place for a bit." I said. So we did. E was cool, kind and patient. She packed while I collapsed on her floor. Her roommate was accommodating too. I wasn't too clear headed, but I believe he held onto my handshake a bit longer than necessary.

After Frank and E grabbed a cup of coffee, we were on our way. I'd thought E would drive but Frank was driving. I sat in the back seat, just trying to relax. If Frank drove like a maniac "straight", he drove like a mad man not. In the back seat, I was imagining the crushing of my body and of bones breaking. Not good. Fortunately he's a confident and capable driver and we made it to the Sayville ferry in an hour or so, in time for the 9:30AM ferry.

I swear, I'll never put myself in that position again.

An inauspicious beginning to the weekend.

Fire Island

We went directly to the house at Cherry Grove. All I tried to do was relax again. It was a nice day, far to breezy for the beach. I stayed on the deck, taking the sun and going inside when it got too cool.

Later, stopping first to see E at the Tides in Cherry, we headed over to the Pines for Low Tea around 6PM. We jumped right into the crowd and found some of Frank's friends, which have become my own. Plenty of eye candy with lots of handsome men and cute boys there, perhaps I turned a head or two. Hey, one can wish. I grabbed a few beers for myself and few drinks for the others, dancing for a few songs. Frank disappeared. Figures. I was content with dancing with the men, some being very friendly, some just dancing alongside and brushing as they do. Say hi. I won't bite, unless you want me too.

From Low Tea, it was on to High Tea where I ran into more friends, M and Trevor (mmmmm Trevor). I stayed there for a bit and one more beer. More handsome men appeared. Some friendlies as I had one Brazilian man grab hold of me as he asked my name. Presumptuous of me but he was wearing a Brasil football shirt. Pretty forward. By 9PM, it was time to make my way back to Cherry Grove. I'd had a great time at Tea. I walked along the beach and avoided the Meat Rack. It was a beautiful night, as the moon glistened on the water. I love being on the beach at night.

Arriving back at the house, Frank was nowhere to be found. I rested again and ate with his housemate, also a friend of mine, his guest and his guest's friends. Frank strolled in and laid on the couch to sleep. I eventually retired to close my eyes and hoped to finally get some sleep. I'd made an unspoken deal with myself, that if I managed to fall asleep, I would not be going back out again to the Pines and the Pavilion.

Frank reawakened at 1:00AM and woke me too. I'd managed to sleep and true to my word said, "I'm not going." Frank went out alone and I happily went back to bed.

It was a restful night of sleep. I awoke when Frank returned home at 8:30. I cleaned up and grabbed a bite to eat while Frank slept, of course, I was a prisoner to his schedule again. He got up and wanted to hit the beach and I wasn't so inclined. However, he found some friends and walked over to the Pines. Our departure at 3 had now turned to 4. Repeat after me, NEVER AGAIN. Well... maybe again... just not with Frank and his car.

Frank did not fail to be the crazy driver he was. The ride home was again fast even though he missed a few turns, but it worked out since he managed to bypass all the traffic hotspots.

Not quite the exciting fun filled weekend I'd hoped for but all-in-all, a relaxing weekend even if I had to deal with Frank's nonsense.