Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Pride Weekend recounted (Part 2 of 2)

Yeah yeah, it's 2 days past Pride and most people don't care anymore. I'd meant to finish this yesterday to be somewhat timely but I didn't. So now, here is the conclusion of my Pride weekend.

Adventures in Automobiling with Frank
I'd awakened around 11:30PM on Sunday evening. I'd slept hard and was refreshed to face the morning. I started preparing. Frank had agreed to pick me up at 1:00AM. Showered, primped, primed and ready, I was downstairs when Frank pulled up at 1:15.

We headed directly into the city, no fiasco as last week or so I thought. It dawned on Frank, "Tomorrow's Monday. Where am I going to park the car?" Things went downhill for awhile from there as I had to endure Frank's insane driving for the next hour plus. Several times I'd said, "Put it in a lot, I'll pay." but Frank stubbornly didn't listen. We traversed all around Chelsea, down in to the West Village and into the East Village. No parking. None. Nada. Zilch. So what did we do? We put it in a lot in 10th Avenue. I truly don't understand his mentality. It didn't bother me a great deal. We weren't rushing to the club. Turns out, Frank's stubborn nature was a blessing in disguise.

Disclaimer for Richard - Do not read the following. I don't want you to hate me as it contains an account of a night out clubbing and will involve glowing remarks about DJ(s) and the music she/he played. No apologies here.

We'd arrived at Spirit at 2:45-3. Walking in, the club was empty, aside from the 20 people or so that were already there. I was flummoxed. This didn't bode well and boded a lot worse than I'd anticipated. I can't have imagined if Spirit did open at 11, if anyone was here.

I waited for Frank's comments. "We should have gone to Alegria!" he said. I shrugged, I didn't care. It was about that time that Tracy Young took the decks and proceeded to rock the room. This, I did not anticipate either. She quickly took us on a musical journey of her own and it was an absolute blast. Frank and I were both shocked. Some nice dark beats and none of the circuit fodder I initially expected from Tracy, a genuine surprise.

The club filled slowly. Then around 6-7AM, the club filled fast and almost to capacity. Junior had somewhere along the line taken over and continued to rock the room and push the crowd into a greater dance frenzy. Junior was an absolute treat this party. He was mixing, blending and throwing some serious, serious energy out with his music. It was indescribable. I knew I'd made the right decision to come here.

I'd watched my "deadline" come and go, without a thought. I wasn't making it to work today.

I ran into a few club friends and made some of new friends. There were these two boys, whom I thought were conspicuously dancing around me. One was "eh" but the other wore glasses and bookishly cute. Really cute. I'd had a chance to talk with them in the smoking area. They were from out of town, French to be precise, visiting for Pride. the cute one was Stefan (mmmmm Stefan). We chatted for a bit and parted. Ironically, when I looked for and found Frank, he was talking to them. So Frank and I ended up hanging with them. They soon left. Sigh. C'est la vie.

Frank, I could tell, had this look about him. Pretty soon, it was "I'm done." I let him leave around maybe 12-1. I stayed dancing and hanging. No more cute boys to talk to... except for the stalking crystal queens. Yuck. I'd left at 3:00PM, tired and contented.

That night certainly made up for my lackluster Pride and I have the swollen ankle to prove it. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.