Thursday, July 07, 2005

Why I'm a Mac Guy.

Yesterday, I'd thought about writing Mike (crush) to say "What's Up?"
But as it turns out, he wrote me instead. Ooooh, spooky. Not a social call, sort of, but to ask if I'd be interested in making some money, helping his supervisor with her PC and the opportunity to see him. Of course I'd like to see him and possibly tap that ass (did I say that?), so I took on the challenge. I prefaced the whole ordeal with "I'm not a PC guy and this is only a favor." and "I'll do what I can." I refused to take any money since doing so would obligate me to return visits and continued support.

His co-worker dropped off the computer in the late afternoon, an innocuous Dell Inspiron laptop. Once I got it home, I realized the extent of what I'd gotten myself into.

Off the grid, the computer seemed to be fine. It ran a little slow, but nothing unbearable. Attach it to the internet and it became a horrific, pop-up advertising cancer-laden victim, crippled by adware and spyware. It seems that she'd been running her Windows XP Home with no virus protection, no firewall, and no adware protection. Plus, it hadn't been updated, ever.

I dove in and ran some adware/spyware removal software. It found and excised some of the offending code and I moved on.

I restarted the machine.

Everything seemed fine. Then, a pop-up. Then two and then another. I ran the anti-adware again and again it found the same offending code and removed it.

Restarted. Slowly but surely, everything returned.

This machine was terminal. Normally under these circumstances, I would have reformatted and reinstalled. Unfortunately, she couldn't, and won't be able to supply the original install discs and I was not about to go ahead and purchase a new license for Win XP Home. I'd already shelled out $30 for an ineffective adware removal program. Microsoft AntiSpyware isn't worth the disk space it occupies as I watched it allow known Adware/Spyware applications to reinstall themselves on to the hard drive.

FRUSTRATION!!!!

MacBoyX
was online and had to suffer my rantings, "PCs SUCK!!!!" and "WTF?!?!"

Sigh. I called her this morning and suggested she bring it to Best Buy. I think the Geek Squad will do a better job and should at least have a licensed Dell Win XP Home disc to help her.

This is why I'm a Mac Guy.

Oh, and you bet I'm going to get a piece of ass after this.