Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Birthday Celebrations

Yesterday was my birthday. I turned 36. I’m okay with it.

Celebrations started last Thursday with cocktails with the Robos, RoboCub and BF RoboPapi at GYM bar. Drinks were imbibed, gifts were given. Well, one is on it’s way and I’ll most certainly post pictures when I get it. Regardless, it was a fine start to festivities with two of my favorite people, even if I did get a little soaked from the torrential downpour that started just as we were leaving. I waited 10-15 minutes for the rain to let up and still got pretty wet.

Friday night, the BF had arranged a barbecue at a friend’s house. I’d thought it’d be just us, our friend and his BF. I was mistaken. I was clued in during the week as the BF was running about, dropping things off at said friend’s house. I also found a “To Do”, shopping and invitee list. It was a much larger affair than just a meal I gathered. I’m usually loathe for anyone to go out of their way for me, especially organizing a party. Still, it was nice to see people for my birthday. It turned out to be a beautiful night to hang out in the friend’s backyard. The humidity of the past few weeks was gone.

The BF got smashed, I stayed sober. go figure. I yelled at him to keep things quiet as he whooped, hollered and cranked up the radio. It was about midnight, I was trying to be considerate of the neighbors. Gosh, that makes me seems old, doesn’t it?

My younger brother and his wife gave us a ride home. The BF passed out immediately.

Saturday day was quiet, celebratory in that way because I did absolutely nothing. I neither felt the urge or the impetus to do anything. I’d thought about going to the gym and hitting the beach but it required too much effort. Instead, I sunned myself on the roof and I worked out briefly at home.

Having saved my energy during the day, I released it all dancing in another night of birthday celebration with the Robos. We hit the Roxy, not knowing quite what to expect from DJ Mike Cruz. I’d heard him before at Krash at Club Deep and Krash’s original home in Astoria. I couldn’t really rely on that experience since the house/dance sessions were always interrupted with salsa/merengue.

The music turned out to be a blast. DJ Mike Cruz surprised me and the Robos. It was all fresh and new to me so I couldn’t trainspot any of it. Needless to say, we danced our asses off.

The crowd was thin which was not surprising. It did get “more crowded” but never unbearably so and it mysteriously emptied out around 3:30-4:00 I estimate. There were some handsome men in the crowd. By 5:00 however, it was getting to be the witching hour and the dance floor predators were out. My hackles were raised as they started trolling around for after-dance partners, bumping into me and trying to get my attention. I seriously hate this. RoboCub noticed my tenseness as we’d rubbed up against each other and I turned, ready to clobber whoever it was.

With my defenses at full power and shields at maximum, it was time to leave.
Thanks again to the Robos for helping me celebrate my birthday.

Sunday was another quiet day, spent with the BF’s brother’s family in SI. They had a barbecue for my birthday and cake, italian cannoli cream cake and chocolate jelly ring ices too. Yummy.

Monday, the official birthday, I worked. Too many expensive habits to support. :-P
It was a great day, fielding all the phone calls, wishing me a Happy Birthday. I truly felt blessed for all the friends I have. Thank you to everyone.

It was a quiet birthday day otherwise. Drinks at G and dinner at Rocking Horse with the BF and our friends, O and M, closed out my birthday celebrations.

I turned 36. I’m okay with it.

Labels: , ,