Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Returned, Renewed, Restored, Regressed.

Last week, I wasn’t much in the mood to blog. It wasn’t just the emotional stuff I was going through, flatlining my urge to blog. Simply, I was without my MacBook Pro, my mobile office, my digital pen and paper. Seems silly, but I’d grown accustomed to writing, blogging and corresponding only on my laptop. I tried writing on my work machine. The words didn’t flow as easily.

The week prior to last, I’d put in a call into Apple’s AppleCare unit. The MBP was well within its original warranty. Additionally, I’d paid for the extended warranty, so it was ridiculous not to call Apple and have them at least diagnose the issues I was having. It was a very pleasant experience. The AppleCare rep was courteous and open-minded, listening to my description of the problem.

Albeit I was a little surprised that he was aware of any such problems with the MacBook Pro line.
These problems have been documented and commented like crazy on the Apple Support Boards.
Perhaps Apple itself needs to monitor the boards more for content. Moderators should take notes and pass them along. Head trouble off at the pass.

During our support call, the Apple rep emailed me a data capture program to get a snapshot of the MBP functions during normal operation for the apple tech gurus to examine and diagnose. I did it gladly and waited for them to get back to me.

I was shocked and amazed that the rep called me the next day, saying that the Techheads were interested in “capturing” my computer for further tests. I’d have to ship it to them and they’d replace it with a new system.

Yippee, fantastic news.

Groan. I have to backup everything and “clean” the machine, but only so much. They needed the operating system in it’s current state to properly test and figure out the root of the problem.
It was a bit of a hassle but I had to do it.

SuperDuper! to the rescue.

Backed up and cleaned up, I bid adieu to my poor, ailing MBP on a Friday, leaving me un-mobile for a week.

The New MBP arrived yesterday. Much ballyhooing and celebration.
I tested it with my backed up drive and it was whisper quiet.
Restoration of my hard drive was straight forward and painless. Yeah. SuperDuper!

All was well.

Till today.

The buzz is back.

Sigh.

I’ve resigned myself to accept that it’s something to do with the hardware and the current version of OS. It’s inescapable.




I wrapped that up fast. I was beginning to bore myself.




Labels: ,