Sunday, April 17, 2005

Dancing with Danny.

After a relaxing day on Friday, I arrived home for a disco nap. Danny Tenaglia was spinning at Spirit for the First Anniversary of the closing of Arc FKA Vinyl, the club of his previous residency. A melancholy reminder, Arc/Vinyl was my Friday night home for nearly four years. I did a lot of growing up (and acting childish) in there. I don't expect anyone to understand, but it holds a special place in my memory. Tinged with sweetness and soured by sadness, I've accepted it and grown from it.

Still, Danny continues to perform and with him, carries a piece of that memory and mostly the good stuff, the music and his magical musical journies.

I'd only slept a few hours before getting up, anticipation always wakes me up. I headed into the city about 11:30PM. I arrived at 12:30 and breezed into the club, and got lost for the next 11+ hours.

Danny had me going from the moment I walked in. A musical journey from (my) start to (my) end, just what I needed. The vibe was awesome, in my opinion. I thought the crowd was radiating energy and Danny was taking it and sending it back ten fold. I know I did my part. I had my fists pumping in the air and waving to Danny. He may not know it's me, but he'll know that someone is going nuts on his dance floor. It did feel like Vinyl/Arc in Spirit last night. The beats, Danny kept bringing the beats. The music had moving, when my legs were saying "no more." Yes, it was THAT good.

Some notable tracks (that I could identify/remember and in no particular order)
Right on, Right on - Silicone Soul (TWICE)
Flash (Danny Tenaglia's Nitrous Oxide Mix) - Green Velvet
Always Remember to Honor and Respect Your Mother - Dusted (Deep Dish Loves Their Mother Remix)
Stop Foolin Around - Quicksound
Walking On Fire - Evolution
The Baguio Track (Bedrock Mix) - Luzon
Sacred Cycles - Pete Lazonby
Spiritual Battery - Paul Jays
Terror - Fused
I'll Call You (Thin Red Man Mix) - Soul Mekanik
All Exhale - Luke Slater
Waiting - Nat Monday
I Feel Loved - Depeche Mode
Touch Me - Rui Da Silva
Two Months Off - Underworld
Frank Sinatra - Miss Kittin
The Sound of Violence - Cassius
So Strong - Ben Watts feat. Adele Holeness
Ain't No Need to Hide - Sandy B. (lyrics overlaid with Keep Pushing On)
I Know You Can - Whatever Girl (the bassline is lost on this MP3, sounds wicked on a big room system)

I left at 11:45, thoroughly exhausted and thoroughly satisfied. The club was closing down at 12:00 and I'd got my coat check before, so that I can be on my way with little hassles. Seems I missed Danny throwing a "Soul Train Dance Session" and having each remaining individual, dance in the spotlight. I probably would have been too shy. Who am I kidding? I'm a leo, I would've completely hammed it up. Next time, I know better than to leave so close to the end.

The crowd never got out of control. After the Crobar debacle, I was ready to swear off megaclubs. I give Spirit a great deal of credit for managing things nicely. All my experiences with the club have been positive.

Again, the boys were not in representation last night. I'm guessing they were waiting for Saturday night, when Junior Vasquez took the decks for his Star Power party. Well, the straight boys were cute. Some of them might have been curious (I felt them kind of flirty), although I wasn't into that game. Still some of them were knuckleheads. I had one dancing me, in a battle, I think. He didn't take kindly to me turning my back to him. He stood there for two minutes with his arms folded. Whatever.

Until the next party, I wait.