Tuesday, November 22, 2005

XHo-hum.



Have you heard? The Xbox 360 is out today, official world release.

I didn't get one.

"How can that be, evilBuddha? You didn't have it pre-ordered. That's unlike you, you who covets all that is new and techy, acquiring such items posthaste!!!" You might say.

True, very true. A few reasons…

Firstly, when it finally came to mind at the beginning of October, I'd missed my chance at getting the 360 at launch.

Second, have you seen the launch game list? By my measure, it is paltry. Okay maybe I'm being nitpicky. There are 18 games. Perhaps its a good mix of everything, but nothing is a standout. Odd for a nextgen machine. No? Looking on Xbox 360 IGN, the highest reviewed game got a 9 out of 10 and the lowest got 5.9 out of 10. I don't see how anyone can see that as positive, it's downright dismal.

I'm extremely underwhelmed.

Sure, eventually I'll get it. There's no doubt. I'm just not rushing. Seriously.
The software support isn't there. I don't think the launch games push the 360, at ALL.
The demo of King Kong is yawn-tastic. If the 360 is so advanced, why is Kong a blocky ape? COD2 is visually goodlooking but not necessarily my cup-o-tea.

There isn't a game that screams, PLAY ME!

For now, the Xbox 360 would be a hardware upgrade to play my current Xbox library.

I'll stick with the Xbox until further notice.

ADDITION: Almost forgot to recount a 360 launch story told to me. Friend P, who shall be dubbed 'geek greater than me' for the while being, went to TRU, Toys R Us for the uninitiated, this morning at 6AM. He was #14 of thousands as I understand. At 8AM, a TRU staffer inform ed everyone on queue that if you didn't have a 'ticket,' you could not buy an Xbox 360. P tells me, NO ONE had a ticket.

Insanity ensued.

Cops were called in to restore order.

Tickets, as P learned, were handed out the day before at TRU and only if you happened to be there. Nice job TRU, you get the evilBuddha Jackass of the Week award. Hmmm… that sounds like something I could do regularly. We'll shorten it to EJOTW.