Sunday, November 27, 2005

Media Catch-Up

The BF and I have been ticking off our movie must-sees for the holiday season.

Last week, we caught the fourth year at Hogwarts with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. No surprises there if you've read the book. A visually, spectacular movie although a bit on the dark, understandable as this is where the HP series goes dark. The movie is a bit long if you're not a fan of the book, a bit short if you were. They skimped out on a lot of details and side stories, most of which I've been trying to piece together from memory. It could be possible I'm confusing it with the next book.

Notable is Ralph Fiennes, who puts in a good show as You Know Who.

A solid and entertaining movie, with eye candy to boot.

As every gay blogger, who's seen Goblet, will attest, Viktor Krum is dreamy.

However, my immediate impression of him, wearing a tanktop by the lakeside, followed by a gaggle of girls, "Boy, you need to work on those triceps some." Sorry, catty and shallow of me.

This week's movie was Rent. I'd had the pleasure of seeing the play with the original cast and I felt the movie was to it. My only complaint is, while the main songs were fairly intact, a lot of the minor interplay between the characters was changed, some of it completely left out. I was musically playing out the original cast recording in my head, comparing it to the movie. Trust me, I knew where there were changes/omissions. Understandably, the alterations were to help the movie flow better, but I liked much of the lost interactions.

I'm thoroughly pleased that the movie makes the musical and its message, accessible to everyone, since not everyone can or would catch the play.

On to anime, oh just for a short update.

With all the anime, I've got on DVD being ripped down for iPod (it seems to be all I do these days), I'm watching some anime I've downloaded on torrents.

At the suggestion of Neal, my enabler and fellow otaku, is Mushishi. It's not my usual, screaming Japanese kid piloting big ass robot fare, but it has my attention. It's a very haunting, spiritual anime and has an X-files feel to it. Thanks Neal for getting me stuck on another one.

Currently, watching the latest from Hayao Mizayaki and Studio Ghibli's Howl's Moving Castle. Absolutely fantastic animation with beautifully rendered backgrounds. If you open your mind and heart, the endearing story touches you and draws you in. Very Mizayaki.